Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom = freedom from other credit cards

tag
LisaPA
Regular Contributor

Chase Freedom = freedom from other credit cards

I can tell my scores are finally over 700 by the fact that I just got my first Chase Freedom card mailer. The best part was the "Two Easy Steps" listed for balance transfers:

Step 1) write down the balance you wish to transfer

Step 2) close all your other cards  - "Chase Freedom is the only card you need"

Pretty bold of them, but you gotta give them credit for chutzpah! Smiley Very Happy

I wouldn't be so stupid as to close my other cards, but I have to admit I'm considering the app. What's the current opinion in the love/hate with Chase? They're very vague on what gets the 3% cash back.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
woozy
Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom = freedom from other credit cards

Everyone has differerent opinions on best/worst, naturally.

But I've banked with Chase for many years, and I trust them about as far as I can throw a 747. Chase is the poster child for everything that is wrong with the banking industry today. One good thing, since they're JP Morgan, they're too big too fail.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

ahhhh I'm happy that your scores are over 700 and you are receiving pitches from JPMorgan Chase but ahhhhhh I'm afraid you will soon have a headache just like many of the other Chase cardholders....I hope not but...I think it will be fact.

Congrats though...I thinkSmiley Indifferent

Message 3 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

This impression I've gotten re the Freedom card is that if you actually app for it (and get it), you'll get the 3 categories, although I think that for new accounts these days, Chase sets the categories. If you get it because you were a WaMu survivor or got PC'd into it, you probably won't. And in the meantime, those who got them back in the day still have the original set-up.

Or something like that. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 9
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

haulingthescoreup, I think your impression was right previously.  I mentioned in an earlier thread that I thought the reason people weren't getting the 3% cashback in their top 3 categories were because they didn't directly apply for the old Freedom.  Nonetheless, I received my change in terms letter this week indicating that my Chase Freedom rewards program was being converted to 5% in rotating categories like the Discover More.  Oh yeah and no extra $50 when you reach $200.  I'm just trying to figure out how is this card any different than my Discover More.  Hopefully they will have different categories each quarter. And one more thing, the changes are effective March 31, 2010. 
Message 5 of 9
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

LisaPA, I use to love my Chase Freedom.  Now I'm indifferent.  My Chase card was my number one card but now I'm torn between my AMEX Blue Cash/AMEX Costco.   I think the new Chase Freedom is mimicking the Discover More.  We shall see on March 31, 2010.
Message 6 of 9
LisaPA
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. I really had no burning desire for a Chase card or not, but when the app came in, it was a temptation. I think I'll let it pass for now.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Romeoo47 wrote:
LisaPA, I use to love my Chase Freedom.  Now I'm indifferent.  My Chase card was my number one card but now I'm torn between my AMEX Blue Cash/AMEX Costco.   I think the new Chase Freedom is mimicking the Discover More.  We shall see on March 31, 2010.

What's happening on March 31?

I have the same feelings re: my Chase Freedom.  It used to be my workhorse card, but the CL is low and I don't want a hard to get an increase.  Citi has given me a high CL, and I always get 2% back on groceries, gas, drugstores, and utilities.  It's less of a headache to just use the Citi rather than try to remember what Chase's categories are at the moment.  Hopefully my Citi account will avoid the $60 AF though...

Message 8 of 9
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
This impression I've gotten re the Freedom card is that if you actually app for it (and get it), you'll get the 3 categories, although I think that for new accounts these days, Chase sets the categories. If you get it because you were a WaMu survivor or got PC'd into it, you probably won't. And in the meantime, those who got them back in the day still have the original set-up.

Or something like that. Smiley Tongue

The original (and best) terms have been getting phased out for a while now.  I just got my notice in the mail 3 days ago Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.