cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom just ain't what it used to be (as far as I can tell)

tag
pattycake
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom just ain't what it used to be (as far as I can tell)

They are so lame.  I'm going to use the purchase checks they sent me to do a couple of BT's, but at this point, they are on my axis of evil. 
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 31 of 38
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

If I didn't have to deal with Chase I wouldn't. But my indenture was sold to them so I am stuck. Already being in bed with them requires one type of decision and closing the card might not necessarily be in one's best interest. However, if I did not already have accounts with them, whether by previous choice or transfer I would never get involved with them! Way too much drama for something that should be dirt simple!
Message 32 of 38
Established Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
If I didn't have to deal with Chase I wouldn't. But my indenture was sold to them so I am stuck. Already being in bed with them requires one type of decision and closing the card might not necessarily be in one's best interest. However, if I did not already have accounts with them, whether by previous choice or transfer I would never get involved with them! Way too much drama for something that should be dirt simple!

You and Hauling make a very good point and give great advice in this regard to members here.

For me, I want to close one or two cards before I apply for another. Closing any cards I carry will not adversely affect my CRs. I am at the age and financial position now where I have little concern about what my AAoA might be in 10 years. This allows for a position of strength when making CCs decisions. However, I would prefer less age that typically provides less strength.Smiley Wink

Currently, I have 7 cards that average almost 20k each, with no reported balances, which creates more exercise than I truly want to concern myself with any longer. Besides, seeing "closed by consumer" on my CRs at this point in my life is just fine by me.

I would not recommend, any member, take the kind of action I plan with my CCs. I have read much information here and to advise one to do so would be bad advice.

edited for clarity
Message Edited by plasticman on 09-30-2009 06:50 PM
Message 33 of 38
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

After grumping off to bed last night, I've realized this morning that a lot of my reaction was due to the fact that I had been excited about being PC'd to a straight Chase bank card with good rewards, instead of an affiliate card, and I had been looking forward to working those categories. Well, that's not the deal any more, except when their categories happen to match the ones I would have chosen, so that's where my disappointment came from, I think. (Along with the fact that I get seriously, seriously bent out of shape by poor/ untrained customer service.)

I doubt very seriously that we'll ever get back to the rockin' and rollin' days of rewards cards that were around just 18 months ago, but still, you never know what the future holds. If Chase one day starts competing for everyday customers again, and if they allow product changes in the future, this Freedom card could be useful as a ticket to a better deal. And since my credit reports and FICO's look very different indeed from where they were when I first app'd, I would be in a pretty good position.

So, we'll see. I'll keep it open and not mess with CLI's and so forth, and use the 3% goodies to keep them happy, and not chat with CS, and wait. And watch. It's not like it's costing me anything. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 34 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also got the 4th quarter offer for discount stores, electronic stores, and bookstores. My question is does Wal-Mart code themselves as a discount store, getting the extra points? What about Best Buy as an electronics store?
Message 35 of 38
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Greetings to all!

I recently called in and was informed they're switching my rewards program to UR also, on Oct. 30th. They also said they are ditching the $250 check for $200 in rewards because it wasn't profitable for them. I was sitting at $167 in rewards, and asked the CSR if that meant I had till Oct. 30th to get to $200, which he replied yes. So I threw a $3000 down payment for a car I recently bought on it, in addition to some of my monthly spending that normally goes on my Amex Gold. 

When my statement cuts tomorrow, hopefully I can request that last check. That way I don't have to worry about the new lame rewards structure. 

Haulie, did you ever find anything to drop your Amex points on?

Here we go again...
Message 36 of 38
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

FretlessMayhem wrote:

Haulie, did you ever find anything to drop your Amex points on?

You mean the ones I had accumulated on Gold, before closing? I cleaned up on restaurant cards! --pretty much the only way in my lifetime that I would ever be able to set foot in a Ruth's Chris or Chris's Ruth or Steak's Chris's Ruth's House or whatever the heck it's called. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 37 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I cleaned up on restaurant cards! --pretty much the only way in my lifetime that I would ever be able to set foot in a Ruth's Chris or Chris's Ruth or Steak's Chris's Ruth's House or whatever the heck it's called. Smiley Wink

UMMMM butter.

Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.