cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom or Discover: better card to supplement CSP and BCP?

tag
nycyclone9

Chase Freedom or Discover: better card to supplement CSP and BCP?

I have a CSP and a BCP and I'm itching for a card with higher cash back on rotating categories. I think I've narrowed it down to Freedom vs. Discover it (I'm not missing anything obvious, am I?).

Is there any reason to get Discover if I think I like the Freedom categories more? Possible higher initial credit limit?

My current limits are 13K (CSP) and 6K (BCP).

I do not bank with Chase.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SGR
Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom or Discover: better card to supplement CSP and BCP?

I have both and I prefer my Chase Freedom. I find that the Discover's rewards are too limited when it comes to redeeming them for cash back. For the Discover, you have to redeem rewards in increments of $50 -- no more, no less. The Freedom has a minimum of $20, but you can do any amount over that.

With that said, Discover offers a lot of great deals through ShopDiscover. I personally don't really use this feature though.

I also got a much higher CL on my Freedom than I did with my Discover but YMMV.

Message 2 of 10
DarkMoonLily
Frequent Contributor

i don't have any Chase cards but I have read a lot of people prefer having the CSP + Freedom combo.

2019 Goals: Garden and Clean up Credit Reports!!!
2020 Goals: Get a Secured Card and Auto Loan.
Message 3 of 10
ayeecorreia
New Contributor

I have both cards (Freedom is on the way) and Discover has a great online store, but to get statement credit back is a lot of spending. I think the variety on Discover is better for gift card redemption, however

both have Gas rewards this summer, and Discover is better for holiday shopping in the fall, compared to Freedom which is limited in the fall to select stores. 

You will definitely get a higher CL with freedom though. 

Amex Plat, Gold, BCP, EDP, Aspire, Delta Platinum,
NFCU Platinum, Cash Rewards, Amex More Rewards,
CSP, CFF,
Barclay Arrival,
BoA Cash Rewards, Travel Rewards, Alaska Airlines,
Capital One Venture
Citi Costco
Paypal MC
Best Buy
Discover
Military Star
Message 4 of 10
DieGo2SHAE
Regular Contributor

Discover  shines during the fourth quarter since it's 5% back on anthing online (except airfare and possibly bill payments), while the Freedom is 5% on amazon and department stores. Otherwise, the two cards are largely the same in terms of cashback categories all year long. So the only other major pro's the two have over the other are that Discover requires $50 increments to be redeemed in rewards while the Freedom only requires $20 and anything above, and Discover has the ShopDiscover site (which makes the 4th quarter even better, since the 5% stacks with ShopDiscover and makes it, at minimum, 10% back on any of the supported sites).

May 2013 | June 2013 |Sep 2013 | Dec 2013 |May 2014 | May 2014 | May 2014| April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015
Message 5 of 10
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@DarkMoonLily wrote:

i don't have any Chase cards but I have read a lot of people prefer having the CSP + Freedom combo.

+1 on freedom+CSP combo. The one thing i will say about discover is the shopdiscover portal is really nice. at least 5% cashback on almost any online store thats out there.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 6 of 10
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

What about the US Bank Cash +

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 7 of 10
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

If you already have the CSP I would certainly go for the Freedom. They are an excellent pair. The Shop Discover portal is great, and so is the free FICO score, but adding 5x categories to UR earning is a big plus.

Message 8 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@nycyclone9 wrote:

Is there any reason to get Discover if I think I like the Freedom categories more? Possible higher initial credit limit?

Seems unlikely for any reason unless you place unusual priority on things such as the TU FICO.  You can't count on a higher limit from either creditor.

Message 9 of 10
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

Chase Freedom for better synergy but why not both? Smiley Very Happy

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.