Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited

tag
BeeH11
Regular Contributor

Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited

I can't decided! I have a Discover for quarterly categories (I know they're not the same). And I have a Quicksilver for 1.5% cash back.
But I have the CSP and I want something to pair with that for the UR. I go back and forth between the 2.
What is all your experiences? Has anyone upgraded to the Unlimited and regretted it? Why did you switch? Why did you not switch?
Maybe you all can help me think of reasons I haven't thought of. Thanks all!
Chase Sapphire Reserve. Chase Freedom Unlimited. Amex Gold. Amex Everyday. Discover It. Capital One QuickSilver. Bloomingdales. Victoria Secret.
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited

I don't see the point of the FU. I'd much rather do the standard Freedom with the 5% back.
Message 2 of 27
driftless
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't see the point of the FU. I'd much rather do the standard Freedom with the 5% back.
+ 1
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 3 of 27
baller4life
Super Contributor

Both Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 27
driftless
Valued Contributor

baller4life wrote:
Both; )

Well, there is that.   Smiley LOL

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 5 of 27
baller4life
Super Contributor

Especially for someone that values UR points. Freedom+FU+CSP is an awesome trifecta!
Message 6 of 27
BeeH11
Regular Contributor

Thanks all! I hadn't considered all 3! See, this is the stuff I'm looking for, stuff I do t think of! 😀
Chase Sapphire Reserve. Chase Freedom Unlimited. Amex Gold. Amex Everyday. Discover It. Capital One QuickSilver. Bloomingdales. Victoria Secret.
Message 7 of 27
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I will be keeping my original Chase Freedom Visa Signature for as long as I can because the CFU is useless to me, particularly because I no longer use the CSP.

From strictly a cash back perspective, 1.5% may have been great years ago, but it is simply inadequate today. The Citi Double Cash, Fidelity Visa Signature and even Blispay are superior in almost every way for me, although I do prefer Chase over the issuing banks for the aforementioned cards. I would actually take my Discover It Miles card over a CFU because at least it offers something useful in addition to the 1.5 miles/%.

Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

why not get both freedom and freedom unlimited.

two apps in one day, though my combination was first CSP then freedom unlimited. looking at your sig. are you over the 5/24 rule? wouldnt need debating if you cant get approved Smiley Tongue 

Depending on what your spend is, you may want to cover the things that are in your primary spending that is not NOT covered by discover or cap 1.

are your rewards that useful in cap1? thats equivalent to a freedom unlimited but when you redeem your UR through CSP, you get 25% more. so really it isnt just 1.5%. it's 1.875%. 

also, discover's quarterly may not be as useful other than the gas and eating quarters (at least to me). home improvement and amazon are not a priority for me. i do however use the discover to eat at where it's accepted and freedom the next quarter to max my cash back. now that i have the CSP, it isnt about cash back any more but more so of maxing my UR accumulation.

if you just want to get cash back, then maybe you can downgrade your csp for a freedom so that you can avoid the annual fee and max your cash back. if you want to ultimately save up for a free flight, then get both freedom and freedom unlimited

Message 9 of 27
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

1.5% CB > 5% catagories if you only use one card ..... I for one haven't used my Freedom of Discover in over a year or 2 until recently when Costco is now taking Visa's and they don't take my daily driver which is a mastercard.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.