Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited

tag
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited

@driftless wrote:
I like the rotating categories for Freedom the current calendar is favorable for my spend. I am currently at 5/24 but even when I came out from under it at the end of this year I won't app for FU. While I greatly value UR's I have a QS and want to maintain Cap One as a second bank. Having two 1.5 cards would dilute my spend too much. A lot of great cards mentioned in this thread, it is good to have options.

If you want to have another bank than go for another card that you want.... I wouldn't want to deal with Capital one nor do i feel the desire to take 3 HP's for one card. If you value UR  more than 1 point = 1 Cent than you're better off getting the FU than the QS. I would suggest going for the DC than with Citi?

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 21 of 27
driftless
Valued Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@driftless wrote:
I like the rotating categories for Freedom the current calendar is favorable for my spend. I am currently at 5/24 but even when I came out from under it at the end of this year I won't app for FU. While I greatly value UR's I have a QS and want to maintain Cap One as a second bank. Having two 1.5 cards would dilute my spend too much. A lot of great cards mentioned in this thread, it is good to have options.

If you want to have another bank than go for another card that you want.... I wouldn't want to deal with Capital one nor do i feel the desire to take 3 HP's for one card. If you value UR  more than 1 point = 1 Cent than you're better off getting the FU than the QS. I would suggest going for the DC than with Citi?

Thank you, I am happy with Cap One and those 3 HP's are history. I have a very healthy CL and Cap One has treated me very well over the years. While I very much value UR's I prefer to have more than one bank in my wallet. YMMV.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 22 of 27
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@driftless wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@driftless wrote:

Thank you, I am happy with Cap One and those 3 HP's are history. I have a very healthy CL and Cap One has treated me very well over the years. While I very much value UR's I prefer to have more than one bank in my wallet. YMMV.

I have plenty of cards.... Just go look at my sig lol. Doesn't mean I will not app for a card that is the most beneficial because it happens to be with a bank that i already have 4 cards with or etc.... I primairly use my Citi cards but i have cards with BoA, Chase, Amex, Discover, Capital one and etc...   Capital one CLI's are pretty meager and the FU is a better card if you value UR points since you would get a better return than 1.5% CB or UR points.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 23 of 27
CatOfSpades
Frequent Contributor

I like the Freedom card better. I tried an Unlimited card for a month. With equal spending, the 5% categories give me a significant boost over a flat 1.5% and I am not a very big spender. Lately, I've been using my Double Cash more, though. Of course, you can always be crazy and grab up every card you can get your hands on. Smiley Happy

♠Queen of Spades♠
Apple Card MC $10,000
BofA Cash Rewards VS $10,000
5/3 Cash/Back WEMC $10,000
Discover IT $7,500
Message 24 of 27
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Okay, guys. Let's keep the machismo over cards and rewards to a minimum please. Smiley Wink. Thanks.
Signature needs updating
Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have all 3 it's a UR machine!
Message 26 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would get both, if your credit can take the pulls and hit to aaoa. I have both, but having to wait out my current 5/24 status for the csp. I love being able to combine my points. I don't have a ton of spend. Having cards where I can combine points makes a big difference for me. I'll need to combine all 3 cards if I want enough to cover free flights once I have the csp. I

As far as categories go, I like having the 5%, but I don't maximize my rewards that way. My points mostly come from my freedom unlimited being used for almost everything else. When I use the 5%, it's great to have that extra amount to combine at a later time. Right now, the freedom has 5% back at restaurants. That's great for me cause I'm on vacation and I'm moving next month. Definitely using that category. After that tho, it's just simply another 1% card.

I'd say, if you're really interested in keeping the csp, go for both now or spread them out down the road. I apped for thr freedom unlimited about 5 months after my original freedom. Having all 3 will hit most type of spend, and if you have little points on one category, at least you can combine everything.
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.