Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom over the limit

tag
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom over the limit

@PDXoriginal wrote:

Chase actually did a HUGE favor to the OP by closing the account, essentually turned it into a personal loan.

If they would have kept it open, OP would have defaulted.

The default is most likely going to occur with the account closed or opened. 

Message 71 of 126
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@akula wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@akula wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@akula wrote:
Obviously he is not going to answer the question about what was charged. This type of action is why I have no problem with banks charging big interest on credit cards. The world is full of cheats. It is clear this is exactly what the OP was doing by how he ran the charges. He obviously learned nothing from his poor credit choices in his twenties.

OP was running charges that way to get them approved.  I don't view that as cheating at all.   Chase is always aware of the outstanding balance and can accept or decline any charge based on their algorithms.

As for learning:   IF Chase really follows through with what they told the OP (no need to pay the OTL charges immediately , 0% APR remains in place) this was a successful experience.  Of course there is that IF, but the statement seemed to require only min payment.

Well, I certainly view this as a highly dishonest act.  Apparently, Chase shared my viewpoint - they closed his account(s).  Obviously, he had some type of experience doing this or researched, which enhances the deceit in my opinion.

What makes you think that?   Chase closed the card because of perceived risk (too rapid use of credit) not because it was "highly dishonest."   Chase is not shy about accusing people of violating T&Cs, as with UR transfer shutdowns.

No matter how you spin the verbiage, the conclusion remains the same.  Chase closed his account(s) and no longer wishes to have him as a customer.  If that is not AA, then I am not sure what is.  I believe Chase was 110%  justified at closing the account and to be honest, I hope all his accounts suffer AA.

Of course it is AA, but AA is taken for various reasons, and I am saying your statement that Chase did this because it was "highly dishonest" is unsupported.

"to be honest, I hope all his accounts suffer AA"  is just nasty, what is it to you?

Lol, they severed their relationship with this individual, I am almost certain they share my viewpoint.  Nasty?  Sorry, I just don't care for cheats.  The methodology used to charge the 26k was used to skirt the system.  You may feel that his actions were ethical, but I certainly do not. 

Message 72 of 126
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, lets dial it down a few notches in this thread, please remember to be respectful of each other. I thank you for your cooperation and understanding in advance.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Forum-Etiquette/td-p/2905196

Message 73 of 126
NRB525
Super Contributor

@akula wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@akula wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@akula wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@akula wrote:
Obviously he is not going to answer the question about what was charged. This type of action is why I have no problem with banks charging big interest on credit cards. The world is full of cheats. It is clear this is exactly what the OP was doing by how he ran the charges. He obviously learned nothing from his poor credit choices in his twenties.

OP was running charges that way to get them approved.  I don't view that as cheating at all.   Chase is always aware of the outstanding balance and can accept or decline any charge based on their algorithms.

As for learning:   IF Chase really follows through with what they told the OP (no need to pay the OTL charges immediately , 0% APR remains in place) this was a successful experience.  Of course there is that IF, but the statement seemed to require only min payment.

Well, I certainly view this as a highly dishonest act.  Apparently, Chase shared my viewpoint - they closed his account(s).  Obviously, he had some type of experience doing this or researched, which enhances the deceit in my opinion.

What makes you think that?   Chase closed the card because of perceived risk (too rapid use of credit) not because it was "highly dishonest."   Chase is not shy about accusing people of violating T&Cs, as with UR transfer shutdowns.

No matter how you spin the verbiage, the conclusion remains the same.  Chase closed his account(s) and no longer wishes to have him as a customer.  If that is not AA, then I am not sure what is.  I believe Chase was 110%  justified at closing the account and to be honest, I hope all his accounts suffer AA.

Of course it is AA, but AA is taken for various reasons, and I am saying your statement that Chase did this because it was "highly dishonest" is unsupported.

"to be honest, I hope all his accounts suffer AA"  is just nasty, what is it to you?

Lol, they severed their relationship with this individual, I am almost certain they share my viewpoint.  Nasty?  Sorry, I just don't care for cheats.  The methodology used to charge the 26k was used to skirt the system.  You may feel that his actions were ethical, but I certainly do not. 

I had large balances with several CCC, including Chase, who balance chased me, closed some accounts, accelerated terms on one account to 5% minimum payment per month (myself and thousands of others with large balances). I paid several cards off, still paying on one of the Chase cards because it has a low Forever APR. I am still within terms on all the cards.

The fact that Chase takes AA does not mean they sever the relationship. The fact that an account is closed does not mean you lose the terms of the account.

I'm getting the 10 points + 10% extra points per swipe on my Freedom card when others have lost theirs. I got instapproval for the Marriott and Hyatt in December and January. The Slate and Freedom, though CLD, are still open and active.

OP has already clearly stated the intent to pay off the entire amount when funds become properly available from a specific resource.

OP has also clarified the terms of the arrangement, that apparently the operation of this loan is within terms of the card agreement.

As I stated in a earlier post here, as long as OP is paying within the terms of the card agreement, even if Chase closes the account, those terms stay in effect. The only open question would be the disposition of the UR points, which is a relatively minor aspect.

In the long run, OP is saving a lot of interest on this transaction, Chase may be a little cautious for a while, but after this is paid off, Chase will be right back in there offering CC's to the OP.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 74 of 126
Open123
Super Contributor

Irrespective of how the OP got the charges approved, I still wouldn't wish AA on him, or anyone else, for that matter.

I fervently hope NRB is correct, and OP may carry the 0% on the amount above the CL.  This is a valuable datapoint.  In addition, it's irrelevant why or for what purpose OP needed the funds.  Maybe it's for medical bills?  Or, a great business opportunity?  A carry trade in the markets?  Or, his friend needed it?  Or, to gamble in Vegas.  Who cares?  In my view, when someone asks for help, it's better to focus on the solution, rather than what the person could or should have done to avoid the predicament.

Doesn't matter how problem originated, it only matters how we'll solve it.  The OP wasn't even looking for a solution (he believes an agreement has been reached with Chase), and was just asking a credit scoring question, which Takeshi answered in his usual efficient manner.

Message 75 of 126
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Open123 wrote:

Irrespective of how the OP got the charges approved, I still wouldn't wish AA on him, or anyone else, for that matter.

I fervently hope NRB is correct, and OP may carry the 0% on the amount above the CL.  This is a valuable datapoint.  In addition, it's irrelevant why or for what purpose OP needed the funds.  Maybe it's for medical bills?  Or, a great business opportunity?  A carry trade in the markets?  Or, his friend needed it?  Or, to gamble in Vegas.  Who cares?  In my view, when someone asks for help, it's better to focus on the solution, rather than what the person could or should have done to avoid the predicament.

Doesn't matter how problem originated, it only matters how we'll solve it.  The OP wasn't even looking for a solution (he believes an agreement has been reached with Chase), and was just asking a credit scoring question, which Takeshi answered in his usual efficient manner.

+1

If you go back and read the entire thread, you'll see that what we're talking about likely isn't just the NPSL feature of a Visa Signature card.  The OP specifically referenced something called a "Credit Access Line", which I'm not familiar with (I don't have a relationship with Chase) but several other folks have mentioned this is likely distinct from the Visa Signature NPSL feature.  Even if it's not, this thread has merit, and honestly my interest is still piqued.

I joined here to read about the experiences of others; the good... and the bad.  Sometimes folks make wise decisions, and we've all seen examples of where we personally feel a choice wasn't for the best.  When I think it might help other people, I share my own experiences and give feedback related to those experiences, and sometimes I'll freely give data points that may or may not be useful to somebody else.

That's what I feel the OP has done here.  He made a decision, which he's now committed to - for better or for worse.  He came here, as the first post indicated, to give us information and to find out if there would be any repercussions to his credit report or otherwise.  There have been what I think are some very informative posts explaining what will/might happen in this circumstance.  As for judgement, that's not what we're here for.  Chase will have plenty of that for the OP - as they do for all customers (and from what I understand, they already have by closing his account).

To the OP, thank you for coming here and telling us about your experience.  While I can't see myself ever in your exact situation (and honestly, the exact situation is a bit murky to me even now) I appreciate the data points and seeing that even a behemoth like Chase has some flexibility when a situation calls for it.  Please don't abandon this thread, but follow up and let us know the final resolution (did you get all bonuses, did Chase follow through with the APR promotion, etc.)

Edit: typo

Message 76 of 126
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also think OP knows he made a mistake and a bad judgement here.  Lets keep our personal opinions of whether he cheated or not out of it.  He posted because he wants a solution which may be too late for him.

Message 77 of 126
alexl22
Regular Contributor

Yes-its-me did you even read the thread? The OP made these decisions after doing a lot of research and investigating. He knew what he was doing and was fine with his decisions and from his reply post says that everything worked out how he was told it would, the only thing that happened that he may not have anticipated was them closing his card. He was basically coming here after the fact to hear what people thought would happen to his score.

@akula I love it when people on here jump to the defense of the banks, the banks that cause the recession, the mortgage bubble to burst, and who will(  Mod Cut) the consumer at any chance they get. Chase was one of those too big to fail that received our tax paid dollars to bail them out. Oh and hoping for financial disaster to fall on someone is just disgusting, especially here where we are supposed to be a community to help learn and rebuild. While I think some constructive criticism is always helpful, saying I hope all his account suffer AA is despicable. Stay classy. 

Starting Score: myFICO TU: 542, myFICO EQ: 556 EX: 549 (03/2013)
Current Score: 729 TU, EQ: 702, EX 724

Message 78 of 126
Anonymous
Not applicable

@alexl22 wrote:

Yes-its-me did you even read the thread? The OP made these decisions after doing alot of research and investigating. He knew what he was doing and was fine with his decisions and from his reply post says that everything worked out how he was told it would, the only thing that happened that he may not have anticipated was them closing his card. He was bascially coming here after the fact to hear what people thought would happen to his score.

@akula I love it when people on here jump to the defense of the banks, the banks that cause the recession, the mortgage bubble to burst, and who will (Mod Cut) the consumer at any chance they get. Chase was one of those too big to fail that recieved our tax paid dollars to bail them out. Oh and hoping for finacial disaster to fall on someone is just disgusting, especially here where we are supposed to be a community to help learn and rebuild. While I think some constructive critisism is always helpful, saying I hope all his account suffer AA is dispicable. Stay classy. 

@Alexi22,

Yes, I did and you will find if you read the thead you will see that I commented earlier on.  Clearly his research was wrong. Wasn't it? If it was right, I don't think he will be posting on here.  A very bad decision on his part but saying he cheated and as such, what does that really accomplish?  And no one is defending him nor the banks. It is easy to be behind the computer and say these things.  But always put yourself in OP's shoes.  What good does it do dwelling on the mistake? Wouldn't it be better to help him find a solution? That is all he is asking and one is not willing to help then just move on.

Message 79 of 126
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@alexl22 wrote:

Yes-its-me did you even read the thread? The OP made these decisions after doing alot of research and investigating. He knew what he was doing and was fine with his decisions and from his reply post says that everything worked out how he was told it would, the only thing that happened that he may not have anticipated was them closing his card. He was bascially coming here after the fact to hear what people thought would happen to his score.

@akula I love it when people on here jump to the defense of the banks, the banks that cause the recession, the mortgage bubble to burst, and who will (Mod Cut) the consumer at any chance they get. Chase was one of those too big to fail that recieved our tax paid dollars to bail them out. Oh and hoping for finacial disaster to fall on someone is just disgusting, especially here where we are supposed to be a community to help learn and rebuild. While I think some constructive critisism is always helpful, saying I hope all his account suffer AA is dispicable. Stay classy. 

@Alexi22,

Yes, I did and you will find if you read the thead that I commented earlier on.  Clearly his research was wrong. Wasn't it? If it was right, I don't think he will be posting on here.  A very bad decision on his part but saying he cheated and as such, what does that really accomplish?  And no one is defending him nor the banks. It is easy to be behind the computer and say these things.  But always put yourself in OP's shoes.  What good does it do dwelling on the mistake? Wouldn't it be better to help him find a solution? That is all he is asking and one is not willing to help then just move on.

I think you two are basically in agreement (with me as well), but just talking past each other.

I'm genuinely hoping the OP will keep us posted on the outcome going forward.  I really want to know how it all works out.

I've not gone back and done an actual 'count', but I believe the majority of people posting here are being supportive as well, and also just want to know the final outcome.

Unfortunately, it's the non-FSR outliers that get the most attention.

Message 80 of 126
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.