cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom recon denied for short credit history

tag
victoriasnow

Chase Freedom recon denied for short credit history

I applied Chase Freedom yesterday and got the 7-10 day message. So I called the recon earlier today and was told that my app was denied due to limited credit history. I am a 19 year old college student. I only have one BankAmericard Secured and one Citi Forward on my credit report. I have been using BankAmericard Secured for almost 10 months, and I opened my Citi Forward 4 months ago. I have made all my payments on time and kept my utilization under 10% every time. My credit score is 676. Just got approved by Discover It a week ago which hasn't been updated to my credit report yet.  Should I call them again? I heard the chance of being approved by Chase Freedom is very low with less than 1 year credit history.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Chase Freedom recon denied for short credit history

Doesn't hurt to try. When I was in your shoes, I gave up and waited till I hit my second year to re-apply. You may be luckier.

Message 2 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

try for discover!

Message 3 of 10
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

I applied and was approved just 8 months after my 18th bday.. Granted my profile was thicker with an auto loan and 3 cc's but my AAoA had to of been horrid as I had just opened 2 of those cards. 

-sorry for typos-iPhone 5S

Message 4 of 10
bk510
Valued Contributor

@victoriasnow wrote:

I applied Chase Freedom yesterday and got the 7-10 day message. So I called the recon earlier today and was told that my app was denied due to limited credit history. I am a 19 year old college student. I only have one BankAmericard Secured and one Citi Forward on my credit report. I have been using BankAmericard Secured for almost 10 months, and I opened my Citi Forward 4 months ago. I have made all my payments on time and kept my utilization under 10% every time. My credit score is 676. Just got approved by Discover It a week ago which hasn't been updated to my credit report yet.  Should I call them again? I heard the chance of being approved by Chase Freedom is very low with less than 1 year credit history.

You should call BofA secured card department and ask them to unsecured for you.

You may or may not quality to do so but BofA usually unsecures after 9 to 12 months generally speaking.

Also a HP for initiating it as well.

your call....

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 5 of 10
GlocksAndCredit
Regular Contributor

I got my Freedom 8 months or so after I got my discover but again YMMV.

You'll get there!!

CSP $9500, CapitalOne VentureOne Sig Visa $8000 Chase Freedom Sig Visa $5000, Citi ThankYou Preferred Sig Visa $5000, Amazon Store Card $5000, Discover IT $4800, CapitalOne Quick Silver MasterCard $4000, Fidelity AMEX $4000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $3300, Hilton Honors Sig Visa $3300, Citi Double Cash $2700, SunTrust Cash Rewards $2500, Citi Simplicity Visa $2300, AMEX BCE $2000, AMEX Everyday $2000, AMEX Delta SkyMiles $2000, Amazon Reward Visa $1800, BP VIsa $1800, Barclays Apple Visa $1700, Suncoast FCU $1000, Target REDCard $900

Current Scores: EQ 727 (Fico), EX 735 (Fico) **In the Garden unti....forever.
Message 6 of 10
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@bk510 wrote:

@victoriasnow wrote:

You should call BofA secured card department and ask them to unsecured for you.

You may or may not quality to do so but BofA usually unsecures after 9 to 12 months generally speaking.

Also a HP for initiating it as well.

your call....

I agree, worst BoA can say is no.  I would try Chase recon again too, lots of people seem to have good results on a 2nd or 3rd recon call with them.

Message 7 of 10
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Never hurts to try! I wanted a Freedom myself but ended up in a similar position anyway. Waiting until I have over a year of history myself and higher scores across the board and trying again later.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 8 of 10
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

It certainly doesn't hurt to try. Just say you'd like to start your relationship with Chase and only want a chance to prove yourself. Smiley Happy

Good luck!
Message 9 of 10
victoriasnow

Updated: recon for a second time and got the same response...they wouldn't approve me with less than a year history...that's what they said...but got my new discover it yesterday with 1000 CL...I think I will reapply for Freedom one year later...I pretty much enjoy using my discover now~

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.