Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom users who DON'T have CSP

tag
steel_string
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom users who DON'T have CSP

Personally, I'd be very reluctant to stockpile points due to the time value of money, point devaluations, and the off chance of a card closure.
Chase Sapphire Preferred ($24.005k), Fidelity VS ($17K), United MileagePlus Explorer ($17K), Chase Freedom ($15K), Chase Freedom Unlimited ($15K), AmEx Blue Cash ($12.5K), IHG One Rewards Premier ($6.1K), US Bank Cash+ ($5K)
Message 31 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

unfortunately I've used them all as cash back to my checking account Smiley Sad I know I shouldn't but I gotta do what I gotta do

Message 32 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@steel_string wrote:
Personally, I'd be very reluctant to stockpile points due to the time value of money, point devaluations, and the off chance of a card closure.

Totally agree. The points could be making interest or return from investments. However, I think some people value their points more because of the reduced travel fees they may have. 

Message 33 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've decided to Stockpile all my CB into my discover checking. Only thing I'm really "Stockpiling" is my points and miles and that's not really on purpose. I haven't booked anything yet.
Message 34 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@steel_string wrote:

Totally agree. The points could be making interest or return from investments. However, I think some people value their points more because of the reduced travel fees they may have. 

That's pretty much it for us. We push through over 200k a year on our cards. We had been doing this mostly through Paypal business debit cards, getting 1.5 percent back. Unfortunately, doing it that way counts as taxable income and we're already flirting with a bracket bump. While I would be excited if we jumped brackets because of solid real income increases, I would be bitter for a long time if it was by an amount equal to or less than our cashback.

So anyway, we intend to use the points as a vacation bank and unless Chase does nerf the cards/points/deals somehow, I think we stand to come out way ahead over taking the cash out.

Message 35 of 36
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

For those who have Freedom, but not the CSP, do you guys save your points because you may want to transfer them to CSP in a later date (because they don't expire), or do you guys use the points after you earn them? 

I think if it were me, I would want to save the points so I could transfer them to CSP if I ever got one. 

I use them. As I dont even want a csp. Ever. Combo with discover. 

Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.