Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom vs Chase Freedom Plus

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom vs Chase Freedom Plus

thrasher865 wrote:
I'm having trouble getting $600 a month to qualify for ANY categories, much less the top 3 or 6.  If you have a family this might be something to consider, as you could come close to $600 just at the supermarket, lol.  For my scenario, however, I'll stick to the standard.

how it the max 2% per month is $12 ie $600 to get that $12 month you just spend $600 on any mix of 3 or 6 catogories
Message 11 of 24
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Cheddar--

Isn't this a moot point since you're still checked in at the 'center'?

Smiley Happy
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

rbbyrbsn wrote:

thrasher865 wrote:
I'm having trouble getting $600 a month to qualify for ANY categories, much less the top 3 or 6.  If you have a family this might be something to consider, as you could come close to $600 just at the supermarket, lol.  For my scenario, however, I'll stick to the standard.

how it the max 2% per month is $12 ie $600 to get that $12 month you just spend $600 on any mix of 3 or 6 catogories

Yes, but if you don't have $600 per month in expenses in any of their categories, that could be difficult to do.  This goes to what I was saying earlier about how many purchases don't even fall into any category at all.

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

WhirledPeasPlease wrote:
Cheddar--

Smiley Happy

Yep.  Purely in the interest of research. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 24
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

cheddar wrote:

WhirledPeasPlease wrote:
Cheddar--

Smiley Happy

Yep.  Purely in the interest of research. Smiley Happy

In that case, proceed with your research. 

Smiley Indifferent
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 15 of 24
Dawn
Established Contributor

thrasher865 wrote:

I still get little benefit from the "top" categories since Walmart doesn't count in the grocery store category.  Smiley Sad    I sometimes drive the extra mile to go to qualifying grocery store, but it's not worth it to me to spend the extra money on gas just to get more reward points.

The only thing I get the extra 2% on are gasoline purchases and rare amounts on a few other categories.  I really need to quit being so stubborn and use Chase for my electric service and telephone and internet.

I have a checking account with Chase, and the only way I knew that my rewards had been upgraded to include the top five categories, was because I read the fine print on my statement.  I have not yet received the "official" announcement that I understood was to come in the mail separately.
Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utilities (water, sewer, landline, electricity, sanitation, gas) and communications (cell phone, internet, cable) are a great pair of categories to target with this card. My normal monthly bills destroy the $30 annual fee (which I won't have to pay until late next year) without trying. Eventually, I'm going to see about transferring the limit (save $1k) on a normal Chase platinum MC to the Freedom Plus card.

I also have the basic checking and savings account with Chase. They're useful at times, but Chase has few branches around the US. They're more a credit institution than deposit it seems, unless you're a major investor.

Message Edited by jackelope on 11-07-2008 04:14 AM
Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I attempted to get the bonus anyway, but they said no most apologetically. However, they did waive the $30 fee the first year when I converted the basic Freedom to the Plus.
Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Utilities (water, sewer, landline, electricity, sanitation, gas) and communications (cell phone, internet, cable) are a great pair of categories to target with this card. My normal monthly bills destroy the $30 annual fee (which I won't have to pay until late next year) without trying. Eventually, I'm going to see about transferring the limit (save $1k) on a normal Chase platinum MC to the Freedom Plus card.

Could not agree more. I actually love the categories. I have a lot of pets too and I get rewards on pet stores and veterinary purchases. That's awesome for me.  I'm at my 5th statement now and will already be cashing out a $200 cash rewad for the bonus check of $250. If I can make $500 a year on this card, the $30 isn't even a issue.

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought about upgrading one of my Freedom cards to Freedom Plus, and was told that the $30 fee would be waived the first year. I asked if there was a $100 bonus if I converted and there wasn't. So then I asked if there was one for a new application, and there wasn't, but they gave me 10000 points ($100) anyway!

However, here's what I've been doing since I transferred my wedding balance off the one chase freedom card: one card my wife and I use at gas stations, groceries, and drugstores; the other card gets used for everything else. So we get 3% back on 6 categories, with no fee!

Yes, there is still a cap, but I'm not sure that it gets hit that often. If it does, its not $300 over to pay for the fee.

Actually, I use my discover card for the first $100 of gas, as I get 5% back for that. Lately, I haven't really gone over it much to need to switch to the freedom card.

Message Edited by Mike14 on 11-07-2008 11:30 AM
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.