Established Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom vs Chase Freedom Plus

thrasher865 wrote:
I'm having trouble getting $600 a month to qualify for ANY categories, much less the top 3 or 6.  If you have a family this might be something to consider, as you could come close to $600 just at the supermarket, lol.  For my scenario, however, I'll stick to the standard.

how it the max 2% per month is $12 ie $600 to get that $12 month you just spend $600 on any mix of 3 or 6 catogories
People say "Only apply for credit you NEED"

I say "apply for credit you have PRATICAL use of"

I don't have AMEX card because I don't want a card that suffers from PMS
Moderator Emeritus
WhirledPeasPlease

Cheddar--

Isn't this a moot point since you're still checked in at the 'center'?

:smileyhappy:
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Moderator Emeritus
cheddar

rbbyrbsn wrote:

thrasher865 wrote:
I'm having trouble getting $600 a month to qualify for ANY categories, much less the top 3 or 6.  If you have a family this might be something to consider, as you could come close to $600 just at the supermarket, lol.  For my scenario, however, I'll stick to the standard.

how it the max 2% per month is $12 ie $600 to get that $12 month you just spend $600 on any mix of 3 or 6 catogories

Yes, but if you don't have $600 per month in expenses in any of their categories, that could be difficult to do.  This goes to what I was saying earlier about how many purchases don't even fall into any category at all.

----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
Moderator Emeritus
cheddar

WhirledPeasPlease wrote:
Cheddar--

Yep.  Purely in the interest of research. :smileyhappy:

----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
Moderator Emeritus
WhirledPeasPlease

cheddar wrote:

WhirledPeasPlease wrote:
Cheddar--

Yep.  Purely in the interest of research. :smileyhappy:

In that case, proceed with your research. 

:smileyindifferent:
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Established Contributor
Dawn

thrasher865 wrote:

I still get little benefit from the "top" categories since Walmart doesn't count in the grocery store category.  :smileysad:    I sometimes drive the extra mile to go to qualifying grocery store, but it's not worth it to me to spend the extra money on gas just to get more reward points.

The only thing I get the extra 2% on are gasoline purchases and rare amounts on a few other categories.  I really need to quit being so stubborn and use Chase for my electric service and telephone and internet.

I have a checking account with Chase, and the only way I knew that my rewards had been upgraded to include the top five categories, was because I read the fine print on my statement.  I have not yet received the "official" announcement that I understood was to come in the mail separately.
Valued Member
jackelope

[ Edited ]

Utilities (water, sewer, landline, electricity, sanitation, gas) and communications (cell phone, internet, cable) are a great pair of categories to target with this card. My normal monthly bills destroy the $30 annual fee (which I won't have to pay until late next year) without trying. Eventually, I'm going to see about transferring the limit (save $1k) on a normal Chase platinum MC to the Freedom Plus card.

I also have the basic checking and savings account with Chase. They're useful at times, but Chase has few branches around the US. They're more a credit institution than deposit it seems, unless you're a major investor.

Message Edited by jackelope on 11-07-2008 04:14 AM
Valued Member
jackelope

I attempted to get the bonus anyway, but they said no most apologetically. However, they did waive the $30 fee the first year when I converted the basic Freedom to the Plus.
Senior Contributor
UpUpUp

jackelope wrote:

Utilities (water, sewer, landline, electricity, sanitation, gas) and communications (cell phone, internet, cable) are a great pair of categories to target with this card. My normal monthly bills destroy the $30 annual fee (which I won't have to pay until late next year) without trying. Eventually, I'm going to see about transferring the limit (save $1k) on a normal Chase platinum MC to the Freedom Plus card.

Could not agree more. I actually love the categories. I have a lot of pets too and I get rewards on pet stores and veterinary purchases. That's awesome for me.  I'm at my 5th statement now and will already be cashing out a $200 cash rewad for the bonus check of $250. If I can make $500 a year on this card, the $30 isn't even a issue.

Established Contributor
Mike14

[ Edited ]

I thought about upgrading one of my Freedom cards to Freedom Plus, and was told that the $30 fee would be waived the first year. I asked if there was a $100 bonus if I converted and there wasn't. So then I asked if there was one for a new application, and there wasn't, but they gave me 10000 points ($100) anyway!

However, here's what I've been doing since I transferred my wedding balance off the one chase freedom card: one card my wife and I use at gas stations, groceries, and drugstores; the other card gets used for everything else. So we get 3% back on 6 categories, with no fee!

Yes, there is still a cap, but I'm not sure that it gets hit that often. If it does, its not $300 over to pay for the fee.

Actually, I use my discover card for the first $100 of gas, as I get 5% back for that. Lately, I haven't really gone over it much to need to switch to the freedom card.

Message Edited by Mike14 on 11-07-2008 11:30 AM
Wife's FICO Scores, 7/10/09: TU:??? EQ:634 EX: ???
Wife's FICO Scores, 2/13/09: TU:??? EQ:604 EX: 630
Wife's FICO Scores, 2/05/09: TU:??? EQ:592 EX: 630
My FICO Scores, 6/19/09: TU:757 EQ:744 EX:758 (all from MB; EQ Agrees)
My FICO Scores, 3/29/09: TU:755 EQ:746 EX: ???
My FICO Scores, 2/05/09: TU:??? EQ:730 EX: 720

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}