Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom vs. NFCU?

tag
puckguy23
Established Member

Chase Freedom vs. NFCU?

I'm trying to decide what to do next. I'm closing on a house in early August, so obviously I'm not doing anything until then. But I've done a pretty good job of boosting my scores over the past couple of months. TU: 694 (7/15/12), this site EQ: 683 (7/14/12), this site EX: 646 (7/5/12), mortgage lender pulled The TU and EQ have jumped from the 660s since the 5th, when the mortgage lender pulled all 3. The mortgage has not shown up on the report obviously. What I'd like to do once I'm in the house is upgrade my CCs. I know I'm closing my $300 Orchard Bank ($59 AF about to hit) and my $750 First National of Pierre Visa (former Green Dot) because of a annual fee and monthly participation fee. I've got it narrowed down to Chase Freedom or NFCU, which I have a relationship with. I'd like to get in with Chase because I'd eventually like to get a Marriott Rewards Visa, because we do a lot of traveling. Which should be the next one to target before I garden for a year or so?

Starting Score: 507 EX
Current Score: 701 TU/694EQ/654EX(FAKO)
Goal Score: 720 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
journey258
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom vs. NFCU?

Why not both? The Freedom has the better rewards structure with the 5% categories, but NFCU may offer higher CL.

Current Score:652 EQ (Beacon 5.0), 647 EX, 647 EQ, 693 TU (USAA CMS), 684 TU (Walmart)
Goal Score:700 across the board

My Wallet: NFCU cashRewards Sig ($14k); Chase SW RR Sig ($6); USAA Cash Rewards MC ($2k); USAA Plat MC ($2k); USAA AMEX ($2k) GE/JC Penney ($4.4k); Chase Freedom ($1.5k); GE/Lowes ($1.8k); GE/Amazon ($1.7k); GE/Walmart ($5k); Cap 1 ($1k); Comenity/LB ($1K); Dillards AMEX ($2.1k)
Message 2 of 20
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

Based on what I have read, NFCU should be next. If you ae able to be a member, they seem to give great limits, and offer good services to members. Plus, if you get a good CL with them, Chase will likely give you a higher limit as well. If you app for Chase, they tend to match the limits on your existing cards. So if you only have lower limit cards now, Chase will likely give you a lower limit as well.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 3 of 20
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I say app for nfcu now and then garden for 6 months and then app for the Marriott card or the freedom. Nfcu will give you a nice limit. If they don't then ask for an increase. My husband was approved for 2.5k and was increased to 4k before he even got the card.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU, then wait a few months yes 6 sounds about  right then go for the Chase Freedom or you could just go for the  PenFed which I also highly recommend instead of the Chase Freedom!

Just my two cents!!!

Message 5 of 20
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

I would think you'd want to do the opposite since Chase is inquiry sensitive and NFCU isn't. Although I'm not sure what the motgage will do to your scores and Navy Federal is easier score-wise.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Message 6 of 20
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@jordanmedical wrote:

I would think you'd want to do the opposite since Chase is inquiry sensitive and NFCU isn't. Although I'm not sure what the motgage will do to your scores and Navy Federal is easier score-wise.

Chase will want to see good history with high limit unsecured cards before giving a good limit high end rewards card. The OP doesn't need to app for freedom first and risk getting a $500 limit that wont grow without hard pulls.
FICO 9:

Message 7 of 20
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

I want to elaborate more to your reply to my post but I can't because I can only say so much because I work there.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Message 8 of 20
journey258
Frequent Contributor

@jordanmedical wrote:

I want to elaborate more to your reply to my post but I can't because I can only say so much because I work there.

We don't know who you are Smiley Happy

Current Score:652 EQ (Beacon 5.0), 647 EX, 647 EQ, 693 TU (USAA CMS), 684 TU (Walmart)
Goal Score:700 across the board

My Wallet: NFCU cashRewards Sig ($14k); Chase SW RR Sig ($6); USAA Cash Rewards MC ($2k); USAA Plat MC ($2k); USAA AMEX ($2k) GE/JC Penney ($4.4k); Chase Freedom ($1.5k); GE/Lowes ($1.8k); GE/Amazon ($1.7k); GE/Walmart ($5k); Cap 1 ($1k); Comenity/LB ($1K); Dillards AMEX ($2.1k)
Message 9 of 20
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Trust me, I was stuck with a 200 limit freedom that wouldn't grow and you end up paying over the limit fees for basically just using the card. When I called to get a higher limit I explained that my shoes cost more than 200 bucks but they really didn't care so I closed the card in 2008. Don't get me wrong, I love chase. Their personal bankers really helped me a lot over the years financially and set me up with some good products that really helped me reach my goals. The personal bankers are great, and the branch manager in jenks, ok really bent over backwards to make sure that my 12k arrived at the closing table on time. I think chase overall is just full of good people but their computer algorithms sometimes are limiting as far as what they will approve.
FICO 9:

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.