Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom when should I apply?

tag
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom when should I apply?

@NewbieReed wrote:

@dddewdrop wrote:

Ok. So I ended up applying. They said that they need to do more research and will send me a decision in the mail. The reason I decided to apply in the end was that I didn't have that much to lose. I am not planning on applying for a loan in the next 3 years, i have 3 inquires and getting a 4th isn't that bad, and I can now try my hand at the recon line to hone my skills. This is a learning experience for me. i will need a few years to really age things anyway and by then the inquiries will be gone.  thanks for all the help. I will report back on what happens with the recon and the response from them. I wasn't flat out denied and I am a smooth talker. I figured I maybe have a better shot now before my new cards hit my report. i am not plannin on utilizing anything really. Thanks for everyone's input. I will report back..

i got the same "7-10 message" on Saturday. I called the BD # today in order to ask if they needed any information "verified" (aka: I knew that I was denied but wanted to have a manual review". The rep told me that I was declined for too many inquiries (I have 6 on my EX - 4 in the last 6 months from my app spree this week). And she said that she would look at my CR to see what she could do. She put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back and said " u have 4 key deorrogatory accouns on ur CR from 2009" (I have a CC acct w/ BoA that I closed after paying off but have 7 late payments 30day-150d.ay lates in 2009, a CO from GE/OLd Navy that was paid thru a CA, an acct settled for less with GE/ Care Credit  ---> all from 2009). I told her that yes i have these accounts, but all of them are paid and closed. She saidm "Well is there something that happened in 2009?" I told her the truth -- I was an undergraduate in college and lost my job, but when I got a new job a few months later, u can clearly see that I paid all my debts and closed the accounts that I could no longer afford". She put me on hold again for even longer. then came back to phone with "Great News! We are offering you a $4500 CL ". And i said thank u very much!!!!!! Very happy with them. Glad that they can see a situation for what it is and see that I've had a CC with NFCU for 14 months now (my only CC since 2009) that I've been handling responsibly. 

definitely call to see if u can talk to a rep if u've already apped! 

Thanks for the advice. I will call today.

Message 21 of 26
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

What should I say to the recon people? The things I have to explain are a tax lien released in 2008 and a BofA card settle in 2001 for 60% of what I owed. I am going to call and just have a positive attitude an explain that I am rebuilding and I am a huge fan of Chase and would like to rebuild with them even if I start with a low credit limit.

Message 22 of 26
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Im in mass and they have only pulled EX for me
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 23 of 26
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

I called the recon number and explained that I had been out of work and that I am trying to get my Federal lien removed and they said that would be a good idea. I told them that I was working on rebuilding my credit and that I wasn't applying for the Chase Freedom card because I needed money but rather that i applied to start building my credit. The lady was very nice and polite and put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back and told me that she cannot approve me. she recommended this website chaseclear&simple.com (sic?). I asked her if I could try again a little later and she said certainly. So I guess back to gardening. I'm not sure if they hard pulled my numbers again. She said that I didn't have enough credit history plus I have a chargeoff and a tax lien. Oh well. I'll try again in a few months. Thanks for everyone's help and advice....

Message 24 of 26
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear it was a denial. As you have pointed out, Once you get some positive history going for you things will begin turning around. It will take some time, but it will be worth it.

Good luck!

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 25 of 26
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

+1, sorry for the denial but you will get there. :-)
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.