Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom with EMV Chip

tag
dilettante
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom with EMV Chip

@nachoslibres wrote:

That card is ugly.  And I love how every time I try to  use my Arrival + card at terminals that should be able to take EMV it never works.  My wife said Wal-Mart is the only place that has ever accepted EMV for our card.

Have to agree that it's not the prettiest with the chip but there aren't many cards where the chip seamlessly blends into the aeshetic of the card design. I'm sure I'll get some differing opinions but I don't like how it looks on the Amex Plat either for example.  The only card I have that I don't really notice the chip is the metal version of the Palladium since the color of the chip and card seem to blend very well. But i hardly ever use the metal card.  And after using new cards for awhile, I don't notice or care what it looks like since I abuse my cards with so many swipesSmiley Happy

I have only been to two stores in the U.S. that accepted the EMV and haven't had a chance to use it at a Walmart yet. Hopefully soon it will be the norm.

Message 11 of 76
slicemans
Regular Contributor

Is it chip and pin or chip and signature?

Message 12 of 76
dilettante
Established Contributor

@slicemans wrote:

Is it chip and pin or chip and signature?

From the thread on FT, it was confirmed as chip and signature.

Message 13 of 76
Stralem
Established Contributor

@dilettante wrote:

I have only been to two stores in the U.S. that accepted the EMV and haven't had a chance to use it at a Walmart yet.

Oh, you simply must. The cashiers look absolutely stupefyed whenever I stick one of my EMV cards in the reader. It beeps during the transaction and confuses them greatly.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 14 of 76
Imua
Frequent Contributor

@dilettante wrote:

I read on another forum 2 days ago that someone got the Freedom card with EMV chip. They also posted a pic and have updated their google.doc emv card database to include the Freedom card.  Has anyone on this forum received a Freedom card with chip yet?  Just curious when Chase will be rolling it out as standard.

According to that post, the chipped Freedom was a replacement for his Freedom MC that was switched to Visa.  I still have the Freedom MC and will be holding on to it until they replace it with the Visa so I won't be calling to ask about it in fear that they will expedite the switch.

i'm waiting to receive my freedom VISA(to replace my current MC) in the mail (letter i recently rec'd said i should recieve my VISA card by july 15th)... i'll be interested to see if it's chipped Smiley Happy

another thing i'm interested to see is if i'll receive a VISA SIG version - my current freedom MC acct CL is $10k (i don't care either way since i already have 2 VISA SIGs, but i am curious as to what chase will mail out)

Message 15 of 76
Ron1
Super Contributor

I called Chase twice to ask about Chase Freedom Visa with EMV. I talked to two different CSR. They both told me they don't have except Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Ron.

Message 16 of 76
dilettante
Established Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

I called Chase twice to ask about Chase Freedom Visa with EMV. I talked to two different CSR. They both told me they don't have except Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Ron

From reading further posts on the other forum thread and from what my CSR told me, it sounds like the chipped Freedom is only being sent to a small group of people right now. The CSR told me that my account was not eligible right now and that no firm date for rollout to the public has been decided. 

The other forum post said that the CSR they SM'd stated it was a pilot program for a small group that is having their cards reissued.  So, it's not available for everyone and most CSR's will probably not know anything but hopefully, someone on this forum will get lucky and be one of the select few to get their cards chipped sooner.

Message 17 of 76
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

I got approved for my Freedom last week and the came came in Tuesday with no Chip 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 18 of 76
beenjammin
Valued Member

I received this letter from Chase in early June stating that my Freedom Mastercard will be replaced with a Freedom Visa. The letter also says, "Your new card will have an embedded Chip and Signature feature for added security..."  The change has already been made to my account online and I should expect to receive the card by August 15th. I sent a SM from my account and requested a Signature version of the Freedom. A rep from Escalations called me today and confirmed the product change would be made.

Message 19 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

beenjammin - received the same info. Contacted the Chase Freedom CSR who informed me my card will be in my possession by August 15th. He further inquired to find my new replacement card was set to have an EMV Chip.
Message 20 of 76
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.