Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom with EMV

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom with EMV

Just got it in the mail today! Looks so beautiful and yet so simple!

The 5% cash back for this month is sweet! Especially at gas stations!

Card looks sick!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom with EMV

Congrats on the new card and hate to rain on your parade but the 5% on gas stations was from July to September. Each quarter Chase changes the 5% categories. Here is the calendar for 2014:

https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/calendar

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

what is the utility of these CHIP and signature cards? When I travel to europe it's either Chip+PIN or swipe. America is swipe everywhere

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on the new card and hate to rain on your parade but the 5% on gas stations was from July to September. Each quarter Chase changes the 5% categories. Here is the calendar for 2014:

Irish - which quarter includes "raining on your parade"?

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Irish - which quarter includes "raining on your parade"?

I meant that he was excited about 5%  on gas and that was last quarter and doesn't exist now and won't be either for first quarter 2015.

Message 5 of 16
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

I received mine last week, and you are right, it is a very sweet looking card.  I shop a lot at Amazon, so I am happy with the 5% back this quarter.

Message 6 of 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

The forecast calls for: Sunny skies on Amazon, and rain at the gas station...

And in answer to the "Why EMV", eventually in later 2015 most U.S. merchants are supposed to have their chip-enabled card readers and ideally the system will be set up so that you have to use the EMV chip to use the card, if the card has an EMV chip. This is supposed to reduce card cloning, which if the card only has the mag stripe, the cloning is much easier. Unless the merchants all pull a WalMart and disable the "EMV Verification" on the card reader.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 16
frugal47374
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

what is the utility of these CHIP and signature cards? When I travel to europe it's either Chip+PIN or swipe. America is swipe everywhere

When I was in France and Germany last year, most locations took my Chip and Signature card.  It was true that a few places only took Chip and Pin.

Message 8 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There are places in Europe that can process chip & sig.  EMV enabled terminals are slowly being rolled out in the US so it's not swipe everywhere an EMV enabled terminal will force usage of the EMV reader with an EMV card.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you have to request a card with the EMV chip or did it come with one by default?

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.