cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom??

tag

Chase Freedom??

I reallllly want to retire my horrible Cap One cards and get an ACTUAL visa or mastercard. I'm not sure I'm up to the level for approval for the Chase Freedom. Anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good card to consider. No baddies on the report at all. Got the AMEX in 8/2012 and the Discover in 11/2012.

Starting Score: 8/2009 - 542
Current Score: 1/2013 - TU 702 / EQ 692/ EX 692
Goal Score: All above 700
Wallet: Discover IT - $8,800 | Amex PRG - NPSL | Capital One Platinum Mastercard - $5,000 | Capital One Cash Rewards Mastercard - $2,000 | Citi Thank You Preferred Visa - $3,000 | USAirways Mastercard - $5,000
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Tran92
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom??

Chase typically want to see at least a year of credit history. I seen some people getting approved with high 600s. Also  they don't like seeing too many recent inquiry.Other factors like income can make a difference as well. 

TU 746 (10/13)
GOAL: 750+

Message 2 of 14

My Amex backdated to '02 which was great and the Cap 1's are from 2010. Do you know what Citi looks for?

Wallet: Discover IT - $8,800 | Amex PRG - NPSL | Capital One Platinum Mastercard - $5,000 | Capital One Cash Rewards Mastercard - $2,000 | Citi Thank You Preferred Visa - $3,000 | USAirways Mastercard - $5,000
Message 3 of 14
Tran92
Regular Contributor

Wow then I think you have a good shot at the freedom. You got to love amex and their backdating lol. Why the interest in getting another card may I ask? Freedom is great if you plan on taking advantage of the 5% quarterly cash back. Which citi card do you want?
TU 746 (10/13)
GOAL: 750+

Message 4 of 14
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

if you have no baddies i would say your a shoe in. 

and if you havent burned them in the past. 

with amex backdating even with the new discover id say your aaoa is still over 3-4 years. 

and youll probably get a decent limit. from what i heard chase like to limit match. so should be on par with your discover. 

when i apped for freedom my ex report had 2 other inq one was kohls and the other was for another chase card i got denied for (under 7 months old)

at the time i didnt know what util was and apped for the freedom with like 60% util and about an aaoa of 2 years and got a measly 500 limit but i did get in. 

i plan on asking for a cli after the card turns a year old or maybe even 2, not sure yet. 

im sure if i re applied now id be in much better shape. 

my score at the time was about 660's i want to say but dont remember what it said on the letter. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 5 of 14
v639dragoon

You should be fine getting it. I have a 748 FICO, and less than a year of credit history. I was approved for a Chase Sapphire Preferred 5k limit instantly last month. Just app for it and find out. 

Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL | Amex BCP $6k | Credit Union Card $1k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5k | Southwest RR Plus $5k | Nordstrom Store Card $4k | Cap1 Venture $35k AU | Amex Plat Business NPSL
Message 6 of 14

I think I'll wait until my Discover starts reporting before I go for it, will that make a big difference? I really just want a good Visa or Mastercard so I can complete sock drawer both of my Capital One's.

Message 7 of 14
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@constantgardener wrote:

I think I'll wait until my Discover starts reporting before I go for it, will that make a big difference? I really just want a good Visa or Mastercard so I can complete sock drawer both of my Capital One's.

if i remember correct it takes discover a while to first report.... 

but yeah imo youd be better off waiting since you got the jump on aaoa from amex. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 8 of 14
qtcbcute
Contributor

@creditnocash wrote:

@constantgardener wrote:

if i remember correct it takes discover a while to first report.... 

but yeah imo youd be better off waiting since you got the jump on aaoa from amex. 

Creditnocash is correct...Discover does take a while to report. I apped for my Freedom and a day later apped for my Discover. Freedom gave me a CL of 3K and discover 6K. I then called Chase and asked them for 6K to match my Discover and they did. I then closed both of my Orchard cards which were only $600 each. I go format for it now.

Starting Score: ?
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 14
distantarray
Established Contributor

I just don't understand how OP's credit score isn't 700+ if he has no baddies with a decent AAOA , is the utility high? cause that could be a deal breaker with Chase depending on the amount.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.