cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom

tag
RightOn78

Chase Freedom

Denied Smiley Sad I just got approved for their Amazon Visa with a CL of $2000 but they denied my Freedom app, I called the recon dept and he said short credit history, should I keep trying or should I wait and build on the Amazon and try again in a year?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom

@RightOn78 wrote:

Denied Smiley Sad I just got approved for their Amazon Visa with a CL of $2000 but they denied my Freedom app, I called the recon dept and he said short credit history, should I keep trying or should I wait and build on the Amazon and try again in a year?

Wait.  Listen to the recon department, they know what they are talking about.  Once you have a year of good history with all of your open cards, optimize utilization and try again.

Message 2 of 17
RightOn78

Thanks, will do that! Was really hoping for it since I hear it's a great card but I guess slow and steady wins the race.

Message 3 of 17
ktkw

How long is your credit history?

I only had a BofA TravelRewards card with a 2.5k CL and waited for 1 year before I applied for the Freedom and I just got approved for 4.5k today. After calling recon and having them verify some info.

12/12 BofA TravelRewards $700 || 08/13 BofA TravelRewards $700 -> $2,500 || 12/13 Chase Freedom $2,500 || 12/13 Chase Sapphire Preferred $12,000 || 12/13 Amex Starwood Preferred Guest $5,000 || 12/13 Discover IT $2,000
Message 4 of 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@ktkw wrote:

How long is your credit history?

I only had a BofA TravelRewards card with a 2.5k CL and waited for 1 year before I applied for the Freedom and I just got approved for 4.5k today. After calling recon and having them verify some info.

+1, one year revolving is reasonable history for a Freedom though we've had anecdotal reports of some people getting in under that length of time.

        
Message 5 of 17
RightOn78

I am at just under a year so maybe I was getting ahead of myself, I will just establish a good history with the Amazon and take it from there, did ask USAA for a CLI though, here's hoping. I really need to stop after this.

Message 6 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

With the recent approval with another product and your thin history, just give it at least 6 mos -9 mos
Message 7 of 17
RightOn78

That sounds like my best plan, Thank you! I am so glad I found this forum it has been amazing not only helping me establish credit but with fixing my husband's too! 

Message 8 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

I got a chase freedom card with no open revolving accounts. However, I did have a Chase card that I closed a few years earlier still showing on my credit report which likely made a difference. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 9 of 17
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I agree. You should wait a couple of months. Maybe 6 months before applying again. Freedom is a different beast. Amazon Visa is usually easier to get considering it is a store branded card backed by Chase. Good luck!

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.