Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Giving Away Free Money

tag
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Giving Away Free Money

@missypants wrote:

I received a mailer from Chase: If I opened a checking account they'd deposit $125. I did and they did, so I just used that money along with my own funds to oepn a new secured credit card with another bank.

In six months, I'm going to close the account. Just wanted the free moolah.

Ha Ha Ha Smiley Very Happy

:smileyvery-happy:

You crack me up!

Message 11 of 16
bakalao2k
Frequent Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, you have to keep the account open at least 6 months or they charge the money back to you....maybe it's prorated, I'm not sure.

Also, they will send you a 1099 for the money as "interest" end of year that you will need to declare on your taxes.

And do you know that from personal experience???? Smiley Wink

i received a 1099 form from chase last week.  i received two bonuses from them last year by opening wamu and chase checking accounts.

TU - 737 - 02/21/09, 769 - 02/06/10, 795 - 09/08/10
EQ - 758 - 02/21/09, 783 - 02/06/10, 805 - 09/08/10
EX (PLUS) - 781 03/23/09, 787 - 02/06/10, 783 - 08/09/10
Message 12 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Perhaps this is only on banking accounts, as opposed to cash rewards on CC's. We had a thread here recently with a link about this, which I wish I could find.

I made way over $25 on PenFed rewards last year, but they didn't send a 1099. Thus my guess about bank accounts vs credit accounts.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

For tax purposes, cash rewards are considered rebates on money spent. "Free" gifts from banks for opening accounts are apparently allowed to be written off as interest payments, for some reason.
Message 14 of 16
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
For tax purposes, cash rewards are considered rebates on money spent. "Free" gifts from banks for opening accounts are apparently allowed to be written off as interest payments, for some reason.

+1

The credit card rewards are not taxed; bonuses from opening bank accounts (and those referral bonuses earned when friends open bank accounts) are treated as interest income.

An online bank had a promo a few years back which paid $25 for every referral opening an account. The money I earned was reported as interest and was taxable.

Message 15 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Uborrow-Upay wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

The credit card rewards are not taxed; bonuses from opening bank accounts (and those referral bonuses earned when friends open bank accounts) are treated as interest income.

An online bank had a promo a few years back which paid $25 for every referral opening an account. The money I earned was reported as interest and was taxable.

Thanks for the clarification, gentlemen!

This question always seems to pop up this time of year, lol.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.