cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase - How long after closing acct to reapply?

tag
Janders000
Established Member

Chase - How long after closing acct to reapply?

Had an old Chase Marriott Rewards account that I SD'd a while back and completely forgot about until last month when my annual fee posted.  Also at that time I realized I had gotten the dreaded CLD as well from 3K down to 600 (ouch!) I guess from lack of use.  Called and asked to waive annual fee or increase CL with SP (or no pull, LOL), both of which they said no to, so I cancelled the account.  How long should I wait before re-applying and taking advantage of the nice bonus offers that are always going??  3 months, 6 months, 1 year?  Thanks!

Starting Score: 593 after SS in 2010 || CurrentScore: myFICO (10/29/13) - EX: 723 | EQ: 707 | TU: ??? || Goal Score: 760+

Amex PRG (NPSL) | Discover - AU ($16.9K) | BofA Platinum Plus ($7.8K) | Chase Freedom Visa Sig - AU ($7.5k) |
FNBO Amex ($6K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($5K) | USAA Platinum MC ($4K) | GECRB Amazon ($3.4K) |
DSNB Macys ($2.5K) | CapOne Cash Rewards MC - AU ($2K) | Amex Delta Gold ($1K)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Exonumist
Established Contributor

Re: Chase - How long after closing acct to reapply?

Idk about Chase, but AMEX puts it in the terms and conditions that you can read before you apply. There may be something in there about current and or previous card holders.

Message 2 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

This is from their T&C:

Replying to this offer: If you omit any information on the form, we may deny your request for an account. Chase cardmembers who currently have or have had a Chase credit card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer or have received a similar bonus offer, may not be eligible for a second Chase credit card in the same Rewards Program, or for any bonus offer. Chase cardmembers currently receiving promotional pricing, or Chase cardmembers with a history of only using their current or prior Chase card for promotional pricing offers, are not eligible for a second Chase credit card with promotional pricing. You must have a valid permanent home address within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia. The information about the costs of the card described in this form is accurate as of 2/22/2010. This information may have changed after that date. To find out what may have changed, write to us at Cardmember Service, P.O. Box 15043, Wilmington, DE 19850-5043.
Message 3 of 10
Exonumist
Established Contributor

So they leave it completely open ended and up to them of whether or not they want to give you the bonus and or 0%  again? Am I reading that right?

Message 4 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 5 of 10
Janders000
Established Member

@09Lexie wrote:
Yep, you are reading it correctly

That's how I read that too.  Using my good friend Google, I stumbled upon this FT post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1383108-getting-marriott-rewards-premiere-card-a...

So as always, it seems like a YMMV... however, caution suggests waiting as long as possible before attempting.

Starting Score: 593 after SS in 2010 || CurrentScore: myFICO (10/29/13) - EX: 723 | EQ: 707 | TU: ??? || Goal Score: 760+

Amex PRG (NPSL) | Discover - AU ($16.9K) | BofA Platinum Plus ($7.8K) | Chase Freedom Visa Sig - AU ($7.5k) |
FNBO Amex ($6K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($5K) | USAA Platinum MC ($4K) | GECRB Amazon ($3.4K) |
Message 6 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Janders000 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
Yep, you are reading it correctly

That's how I read that too.  Using my good friend Google, I stumbled upon this FT post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1383108-getting-marriott-rewards-premiere-card-a...

So as always, it seems like a YMMV... however, caution suggests waiting as long as possible before attempting.

The FT thread was about churning the card, which could invoke the denial reason for "Chase cardmembers with a history of only using their current or prior Chase card for promotional pricing offers"

It's not clear that the OP did this, or just got the card and hasn't used it for a while.  But if it was "Get the bonus and SD", then yes, wait a while, particularly with the CLD and refusal to change it.

Message 7 of 10
Janders000
Established Member

@longtimelurker wrote:

The FT thread was about churning the card, which could invoke the denial reason for "Chase cardmembers with a history of only using their current or prior Chase card for promotional pricing offers"

It's not clear that the OP did this, or just got the card and hasn't used it for a while.  But if it was "Get the bonus and SD", then yes, wait a while, particularly with the CLD and refusal to change it.

Indeed - it is not my desire to be a "churner"... but I was disappointed with the CLD (and mad at myself if it was self-inflicted by inactivity).  I would like to get the card again sometime in the future, and if I can pick up the bonus while I'm at it, then great!  It sounds like time is my best ally when it comes to Chase...

Message 8 of 10
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Chase has a very long memory so 24 months after closing might do the trick. You say old - how old? Was it the exact same card as they offer now or was it the prior version? There are many people who are able to close old versions, wait a year and apply for new version. 

Message 9 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

Chase is one of the strictest lenders when it comes to churning their cards for promos.

You probably will get the promo offer again if you reopen it after 12-24 months.

If you want the card now, you can always re-apply, but you may or may not get the sign-up bonus. If you don't get it, you could always ask Chase again then to see if they are willing to cut you some slack. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.