Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase IHG - Ins & Outs Guide to Maximize Benefits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase IHG - Ins & Outs Guide to Maximize Benefits

There was an Accelerate promotion that ran (I think) from September 2015 through the end of the year.

Priceless Surprises was another big one that ran (I think) from November 2015 to February 2016.

I was able to stack Accelerate, Priceless Surprises, and a 30k bonus point rate to earn 40k in one night. Smiley Tongue

Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

(Mod Cut-You have been around long enough to know that advocation of this isnt kosher on myFico), churn and burn

Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

There was an Accelerate promotion that ran (I think) from September 2015 through the end of the year.

Priceless Surprises was another big one that ran (I think) from November 2015 to February 2016.

I was able to stack Accelerate, Priceless Surprises, and a 30k bonus point rate to earn 40k in one night. Smiley Tongue

That's very sweet! Do you happen to know when you get your 10% points back after redemption? Also are using points "ok" to complete accelerated offers? 

Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's very sweet! Do you happen to know when you get your 10% points back after redemption? Also are using points "ok" to complete accelerated offers? 

10% back can take several weeks. "All points" and "points and cash" nights are considered award nights, so aren't eligible for Accelerate. They are, however, elite-qualifying nights (if it matters for you).

(That is, I assume that by "accelerated offers" you mean Accelerate 2016. You may have some targeted promotion I'm not familiar with, so using promotion names helps keep things clear. Most promotions can be considered "accelerated offers" in one sense or another.)

Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

(Mod Cut-You have been around long enough to know that advocation of this isnt kosher on myFico), churn and burn

Haha. I actually don't advocate anything I say, but understood.

Message 15 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know if  bonus offers are communicated via email? or do you have to periodically check the IHG website? I changed my communication settings to get offers from IHG..

Message 16 of 29
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:
IHG points are some of the least valuable in my array of loyalty programs, along with Hilton's. As such, I don't go out of my way to accumulate them outside of my stays at their properties. I also believe that IHG is a terrible transfer partner for the CSP. This is why I have such an appreciation for the Chase Hyatt card (my favorite hotel card), despite the brand's smaller presence. It has Platinum status, free anniversary night, valuable points program, and is one of the better transfer partners for UR points.

Regardless, I utilize my IHG card almost exclusively for the Platinum Elite status and the free anniversary night. The latter alone for the IHG card is extremely valuable to me, and it easily defrays the card's very reasonable AF several times over.

Agreed

Hyatt and SPG are the better cards as far as hotel 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 17 of 29
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone know if  bonus offers are communicated via email? or do you have to periodically check the IHG website? I changed my communication settings to get offers from IHG..

Accelerate offers are communicated by Email.

Unfortunately I didn't get communication about the priceless offer by email. 

Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:
IHG points are some of the least valuable in my array of loyalty programs, along with Hilton's. As such, I don't go out of my way to accumulate them outside of my stays at their properties. I also believe that IHG is a terrible transfer partner for the CSP. This is why I have such an appreciation for the Chase Hyatt card (my favorite hotel card), despite the brand's smaller presence. It has Platinum status, free anniversary night, valuable points program, and is one of the better transfer partners for UR points.

Agreed

@humuhumunukunukuapua'a wrote:
+1000

Message 19 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

Regardless, I utilize my IHG card almost exclusively for the Platinum Elite status and the free anniversary night. The latter alone for the IHG card is extremely valuable to me, and it easily defrays the card's very reasonable AF several times over.

Agreed

Arguably...SPG and Hyatt usually have better signup bonuses...but not necessarily better overall loyalty programs.

A lot is going to depend on a person's situation. Hyatt points are often more valuable, and Hyatt is generally a better transfer partner for UR. Hyatt has a great signup bonus, a good annual night (not quite as good as IHG), but once a person has used up the signup bonus and the URs are trickling in more slowly, it can take a while to earn more award travel.

IHG does so many promotions that it's easy to earn award travel again quickly. I've seen Hyatt "Double your points" rates, but I've never seen them offer a 30k bonus points rate, or give 50k points just for mailing in 3x5 cards. For me, IHG point quantity beats Hyatt point quality.

Hyatt Platinum often doesn't mean much (nor does IHG Platinum). Hyatt Diamond offers a lot, but generally (outside of a status match) requires a lot of stays.

I have both IHG and Hyatt cards, but stay more with IHG.

*I travel a lot for my overall level of spending. If someone spends a lot on Chase cards (or gets a lot of bonuses) and is never short of URs, then I can understand the focus on UR value.

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.