Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase IHG bonus, but regretting card...

tag
kstmommy
New Contributor

Chase IHG bonus, but regretting card...

I frequently visit Florida and a specific Holiday Inn on the beach. I figured it was an awesome idea to get this card, 5k limit, go there all the time anyway, etc. Well, shortly after I got the card and met the spend requirements for the bonus, the hotel changed ownership and is now part of Wyndham.

So, now I have 68k points to spend, but I really want to close the card and transfer the 5k limit to my CSP. Does anyone know if you can still use points earned, after you close the credit card? Should I book and spend the points first?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Chase IHG bonus, but regretting card...

The points should be in your IHG account. You can close the credit card and transfer the CL over without losing the points. You may lose certain benefits that comes with the card though, such as platinum status, etc.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 8
kstmommy
New Contributor

Thank you. That makes me feel better. I was wanting to use the points for Orlando and suprise my son with Discovery Cove!

Message 3 of 8
phonic
Contributor

Honestly, this card is one of my favorites. While not necessarily for everyone, depending on the circumstances, the perks are simply awesome. Specifically:

1) Platinum status for life of the card

2) One free night at any IHG hotel per year.

Regarding #2, even if you stay at the cheapest Holiday Inn, you get the AF back. If you wind up staying at a nicer hotel, it could save you hundreds. If you rarely travel and never intend to stay on their properties, then the card doesn't make sense. But if you do, it's a great deal.

The Platinum status is great. I routinely stay at IHG hotels and always get great benefits - room upgrades, free breakfast, free drinks, free newspaper, free Internet (which is now free for IHG members of any status), free reception invites, etc.

Limits: PRG=NPSL, CSP=$16k, BCP=$30k, DIT=$15k, USAA=$6k, CDW=$12.5k, IHG=$9k, BBY=$2k, BOA=$13k
Message 4 of 8
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@phonic wrote:

Honestly, this card is one of my favorites. While not necessarily for everyone, depending on the circumstances, the perks are simply awesome. Specifically:

Regarding #2, even if you stay at the cheapest Holiday Inn, you get the AF back. If you wind up staying at a nicer hotel, it could save you hundreds. If you rarely travel and never intend to stay on their properties, then the card doesn't make sense. But if you do, it's a great deal.

The Platinum status is great. I routinely stay at IHG hotels and always get great benefits - room upgrades, free breakfast, free drinks, free newspaper, free Internet (which is now free for IHG members of any status), free reception invites, etc.

You are enticing me to leave the garden...HELP!!!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 5 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@phonic wrote:

You are enticing me to leave the garden...HELP!!!

I'll help Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 8
kstmommy
New Contributor

I agree, they do carry some great benefits. That's why I signed up. I have family in FL about 10 mins from the beach, and we stay primarily there, but we also frequented a HI directly on the beach (great pool, beach, convenience, etc). Now that it's part of the Wyndham family, there aren't any other IHG hotels on the beach there. All the other ones are in town, so it would be pointless for us.

It really stinks because had it stayed part of IHG, I'd get such great use for the card. I guess unless I wanted a break from the kids and stayed at our local one once a year. Kidding (kinda) LOL

Message 7 of 8
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

I have this card..   Its actually one of my lowest APR card.   I don't use it much, since I still have zero interest on my Discover until may.     It was my highest limit card as well when I got it and still it.   The one free night at any IHG hotel anywhere is the the best perk of  the card,  even though there is $49 AF...    I also got it because I liked staying at the Holiday Inn  in the French Quarter in New Orleans, and they changed as well..    The one free night is the reason I'm going to keep that card.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.