Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase JOINT users

tag
KTR1215
Established Member

Chase JOINT users

My sister is willing to add me as a joint user to her Chase Freedom card to help me rebuild my credit. They told her that they don't report AU to the CRA's and that she needed to add me as a joint user.

My question is does Chase do a credit check when adding a joint user?

Just wanting to make sure my bad credit won't affect my sister's credit limit or anything..

Starting: 503 EQ FICO (1/2013-Pre Foreclosure)
Current Score: 583 (2/18/2013)
Goal Score: 700 (12/2014)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
kk627
New Contributor

Re: Chase JOINT users

I would love to know what the answer to this as well.
Message 2 of 22
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@kk627 wrote:
I would love to know what the answer to this as well.

I am an AU on my fathers Freedom card, it started reporting to all three CRAs within just a couple of days, so they do in-fact report AUs

and to be clear I DO NOT live at the same address as my father, I can't remember if they requested my SS#

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 3 of 22
slippy84
Contributor

Chase reports AUs. She should add you as an AU.
US Bank Cash+ -- Chase Freedom -- Citi Dividend -- Citi Double Cash -- AMEX BCE -- Discover It
Message 4 of 22
KTR1215
Established Member

So even if our addresses are different it will report? I remember reading on this forum the only way it will is if they require my ss# or if our addresses are the same.

Starting: 503 EQ FICO (1/2013-Pre Foreclosure)
Current Score: 583 (2/18/2013)
Goal Score: 700 (12/2014)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 22
hardworkrebuilding
Regular Contributor

Almost 6 yrs ago, my dad opened the Slate account in my signature for me as I had just survived a divorce (my credit didn't) and the consequences of complete mismanagement of my finances had come to fruition.  He opened it in his name and added me as an AU.  I was the only user of the account and handled all account functions (payments, etc).  It only reported to Experian as an AU.  Once I had my financial house in order, we realized the account, other than the available credit I used, had not benefited my credit one bit.  He and I discussed the situation with Chase, added me as joint cardmember, and no credit inquiries to any of the 3 bureaus were made.  I had banked with Chase for 5 yrs at the time, they could see from their own records I had managed the account solely.  Instantly I had revolving credit history as an acct owner (I had already reestablished installment history and cleaned everything else up).  That's my experience with this situation, as always YMMV.

edited to clarify:

1) it reported to Experian only (when I was an AU)

2) once I was joint, it reported to all 3 CRA's

FICO 750+ on each CRA - 6 cards for a total CL of $222,900
Gardening since 9/11/2016 for a goal of 2 years
Message 6 of 22
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

You are ONLY considered a JONIT when you as well provide your ssn, annual income just like a normal app but now considering it 2 people applying which makes your chances of being appoved even greater.(if credit is in good standig also annual incomes basically combine) I ve never heard of some one being added as a JOINT once a acct has been established. HMMM anybody have any experience as to this??

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 7 of 22
hardworkrebuilding
Regular Contributor

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

You are ONLY considered a JONIT when you as well provide your ssn, annual income just like a normal app but now considering it 2 people applying which makes your chances of being appoved even greater.(if credit is in good standig also annual incomes basically combine) I ve never heard of some one being added as a JOINT once a acct has been established. HMMM anybody have any experience as to this??

As I stated, I was added as joint cardmember after the account had been established. I did have to provide typical application data, but no hard inquiry was reported to anmy of the 3 CRA's

FICO 750+ on each CRA - 6 cards for a total CL of $222,900
Gardening since 9/11/2016 for a goal of 2 years
Message 8 of 22
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

true!!!^^^^ my sister didnt get hit with a HP only my dad when app was processed. 

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Message 9 of 22
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

But what im saying is that he is saying that his sister wants to add him to her ALEADY ESTABLISHED FREEDOM CARD as a JOINT, As to what I heard you and can only ADD AU to an exsisting acct but not as joint....

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.