cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Joint Application Fiasco

tag
akamagnus

Chase Joint Application Fiasco

I have a chase slate card with an ex-girlfriend. She being the primary. She has since married and lost her job. I paid 50% of the bill and signed paperwork to be removed from the card. The card is now near its limit and over 60 days late. I called chase to be removed and they denied my request. She states an attorney told her not to pay the bill because of identity theft and credit rebuilding. What should I do?

My credit score drop 100 points and Amex closed my card.

Please help

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Joint Application Fiasco

Are you an Authorized User ?

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 2 of 4
akamagnus

Joint applicant. I called chase and asked to be removed and explained my situation and they said no.

Message 3 of 4
n777ua
Established Contributor

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do. (I was in this exact situation about 10 years ago)  When you signed as a joint applicant, you agreed to be both jointly and solely responsible for the debt.  As much as it sucks, to save your credit score I'd pay the balance now and then try and recoup 1/2 via a small claims judgement against your former gf.  Chase knows your gf can't pay, there's no way they'd remove you from the account as there is a greater chance getting something from 2 people than just one person.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.