Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Joint Closed... how bad?!

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Chase Joint Closed... how bad?!

Have a joint Chase account, been waiting over a month to try to get myself removed from the account.  Called back door number again today and he checks into it and says they did complete the process and they will not remove me... Further more after the review they are also Closing the account permanantly.  it is a Signature card that was reporting highest balance of around $15.5k with close to $13k balance... so already wasn't helping me in util very much but what will happen now that they show it as closed?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Chase Joint Closed... how bad?!

Ick. Smiley Sad

This is from fused's Closing Credit Cards (linked in my siggy below):

Tidbits(this section is courtesy of moderator, Lel)

- If a closed CC account with a balance continues to report the original credit limit, then both the balance and the CL of the closed account will be used in the utilization calculations.

- If a closed CC account is reporting a zero CL, even if there is a balance on the CC, the card will not be included in the calculations.

- If a closed CC account is reporting a non-zero CL but has a zero balance, the card will not be included in the calculations.

- If a closed account reports a CL that is equal to the balance (balance chasing), then this will be included in the calculations.  This is the worst-case scenario with regard to utilization.

I'm guessing (emphasis on guessing) that if the card continues to report the highest-ever balance, you'll be in scenario one. Fingers crossed that it won't be version 4. Smiley Tongue

You'll have to wait for your next statement to see if they continue to report the highest balance (in lieu of a CL.) If you're lucky, they won't, or it will somehow be ignored while looking at the actual CL field.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 10
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Tough one.. Is there a balance on the account?

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

so based on this looks like I'm okay for reporting right? besides that it isn't that much below high balance.

CHASE

Current

800-955-9900
PO BOX 15298
WILMINGTON, DE 19850
 Experian®Equifax®TransUnion®

Account NameCHASECHASE BANK USA, NACHASE

Account TypeCredit CardOpen AccountOpen account
Balance$13,553.00$13,553.00$13,553.00
Date Opened5/1/20055/1/20055/27/2005

Account StatusOpenClosedClosed
Mo. Payment$274.00 $274.00
Past Due  $0.00
Payment StatusCurrentPays account as agreedPaid or paying as agreed
High Balance$15,215.00$15,215.00$15,215.00

Message 4 of 10
PNut08
New Contributor

I had a Chase card that I closed back in '07 that had a balance on it. I was still a student and having financial problems. They closed the account and set a fixed monthly payment to pay it off in 3 years. The entire time I was paying it off, it showed up on my CRs with both the amount owed and the original credit limit. So I would think you would be fine but, like I said, I closed mine voluntarily.

Message 5 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Creditaddict wrote:

so based on this looks like I'm okay for reporting right? besides that it isn't that much below high balance.

CHASE

Current

800-955-9900
PO BOX 15298
WILMINGTON, DE 19850
 Experian®Equifax®TransUnion®

Account NameCHASECHASE BANK USA, NACHASE

Account TypeCredit CardOpen AccountOpen account
Balance$13,553.00$13,553.00$13,553.00
Date Opened5/1/20055/1/20055/27/2005

Account StatusOpenClosedClosed
Mo. Payment$274.00 $274.00
Past Due  $0.00
Payment StatusCurrentPays account as agreedPaid or paying as agreed
High Balance$15,215.00$15,215.00$15,215.00

Well, that's the problem. We know how closed cards with balances report when they report the CL in a normal fashion, but I don't know if anyone has posted experiences with closed NPSL cards, where they go to the high balance field instead of the CL field. You may wind up being our non-volunteer guinea pig on this one, I'm afraid.

I guess that if they do report the high balance, at least they can't balance chase you, right? It's not like there's a CL that they can drop and drop and drop.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I guess that if they do report the high balance, at least they can't balance chase you, right? It's not like there's a CL that they can drop and drop and drop.

HAHA, yes that's the funny thing, the "Guideline" use to be $15900 or something and about 3-4 years ago they dropped it to 13,900 where the balance was but nothing changed credit wise because the high balance remained same... it will be hard to initially judge what if anything this will do to my credit because this is happening at the same time as 2 chargeoffs being settled in full and 10-15 credit cards updating to a $0 balance, a line of credit updating to $0 balance, and the removal of AU cards that also carried some balances. But I will post when I pull Fico again, been waiting for the chargeoffs to update on CR but my USAA Credit Monitoring has shown my EX go from under 600 to 703 as of yesterday (clearly not a good score but I have to assume that my Fico is doing the same incline, just don't know if at that pace)

Message 7 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

I think you better make sure that atleast the minium payment is made, even if the debt isnt yours since they did not take you off you would not want a 30 day or more late to report

Message 8 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@john398 wrote:

I think you better make sure that atleast the minium payment is made, even if the debt isnt yours since they did not take you off you would not want a 30 day or more late to report

The banks are unwilling to work with people on interest rate and payments unless the account is delinquent (usually 5 days after payment missed) I would never let a late appear on credit!

Message 9 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@john398 wrote:

The banks are unwilling to work with people on interest rate and payments unless the account is delinquent (usually 5 days after payment missed) I would never let a late appear on credit!

ok gotcha, at 5 days late it wont report of course ...thats a good stategey since it wont report til 30 days late

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.