Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Liquid Card!!!

tag
Ron1
Super Contributor

Chase Liquid Card!!!

It is a cool looking card. It is too bad. It is not a credit card.

link:

http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/09/pf/chase-prepaid-card/index.htm?iid=HP_Highlight

Ron.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: Chase Liquid Card!!!

4.95 a month. EEK.

I know it's in the median for a prepaid card, but I could never see myself paying $60 a year for a prepaid card/bank account.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 2 of 9
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

4.95 a month. EEK.

I know it's in the median for a prepaid card, but I could never see myself paying $60 a year for a prepaid card/bank account.

Think of it as an alternative for people who have no credit. It is cheaper than FP or one of the other high priced rebuilder cards, and will get the person the use of a VISA logo card. Your credit can be really bad, and still you can use this reasonably priced prepaid.   I think as an initial step post BK, it might be better than many of the highest priced alternatives. Or for a college kid who has sporatic work, and might not be ready for a student card yet, but needs a VISA card for transactions.

And it is one of the coolest cards appearance wise. Smiley Wink

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 3 of 9
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

4.95 a month. EEK.

That's because you probably have a checking account to cash/deposit payroll checks or conduct everyday transactions. This card is ment for millions of people who don't qualify for a checking account. Compare $60/year to the check cashing fees people pay for cashing checks. Much more than $60 a year. Also the convenience of VISA, instead of paying $1-2 per transaction, just pay the $5 monthly. 

Message 4 of 9
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

I posted about this late last year. Well looks like my local branch doesn't know what they are talking about lol they told me it would be a secured card.
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 5 of 9
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:
I posted about this late last year. Well looks like my local branch doesn't know what they are talking about lol they told me it would be a secured card.

lol well that sucks. Keep in mind it always depends on which banker you get. Sometimes its that banker that doesn't know, or the whole branch. Awful bankers will just say nonsense that isn't true when they don't know so that they don't seem unknowledgable (at the moment). Other bankers will say, I don't know (atleast they're honest). Better bankers will say they don't know but will find out for you right now. And the good bankers will just simply always know what products/services they're employer is offering.  

The worst bankers are the ones that know what it is, but sell it as something else. I've seen bankers saying a checking account will help your application for a credit card. Maybe a greedy banker will sell this card as a secured card. Who knows, but key is to find a good banker with integrity. 

Message 6 of 9
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

I like the design of it. Perhaps they should think of expanding similar designs to their checking account debit cards and their credit cards. 

Message 7 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@rootpooty wrote:

I wish it were a secured card, to my knowledge Chase doesn't have any subprime credit-card offer... I'm a little disappointed because I'd heard they were coming out with one (Chase is one of the lenders I'd like to establish a relationship with, however little that sometimes matters) and if this is it, I fail to see how it's better than the Amex prepaid which doesn't cost a dime, other than the Visa network access which is more extensive than Amex in the vast majority of areas.

        
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as prepaid cards go this one looks to be the best of the bunch. Only say it is better than AMEX because it will be accepted in more places.

Before this a pre paid debit card consisted of wal-mart, some washed up old rapper, and a no talent reality tv show family all with fees up the bottom, but now it is nice to see some well known and reputable financial institutions get in on it.

Before a prepaid debit card was only for people who could not get a checking account for whatever reason, now the chase and amex cards are actually a very good alternative for people who can get checking accounts, but are unable to meet the requirements to have the fees waived.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.