Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Marriott Rewards Card/Max Expose - Other Credit Limits

tag
Mopar_Jones
Contributor

Chase Marriott Rewards Card/Max Expose - Other Credit Limits

Sorry for the long subject title.. haha

As some of you might remember, I made a fuss about wanting a metal card.. but refused to get Chase. I bit the bullet and applied for the Marriott Rewards Card anyway.. and they denied me and told me it was because I had too high of limits among other cards. Fine.. but that made my original point as to why I can't stand them...

Anyway, my wife and I were looking for a new card for every day expenses anyway. She was preapproved for a NFCU card, so she applied for one. She is already an authorized user on one of mine for $23,000 that appear on her credit profile. They approved her for $25,000 for the one she applied for. Then I told her about the Marriott Rewards card, so she applied for that and put me on as an authorized user (obviously). They approved her for $9k. Obviously Chase didn't see the new $25k tradeline she had just gotten approved for..

My question is.. once they see that, are they going to freak and close the account or lower the limit? Her AAoA is about 3 years.. UTL is about, (with the new cards) about 14%.. her other limits, including AUs are about $55k.. then add the $9k + the $25k... when Chase see's that $25k, will they care? Her score is about 730.. with a mortgage showing and a car loan.. her income is about 120k..

I'm not used to Chase, but I know they're annoying. I just don't want to start using a card religiously and PIF for it to just be closed or lowered in a month..

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
riker20
New Contributor

Re: Chase Marriott Rewards Card/Max Expose - Other Credit Limits

I don't think they will.  I've got my Chase Sapphire @ 38k and when I opened my NFCU Plat back in August 2011 with a 20k limit, they didn't blink or anything.  Nor did they blink when I opened my Amex BCE in December 2012 with a $20,300 starting limit. 

NFCU Flagship - 50k | Chase Sapphire Preferred - 38k | AMEX BCE - 29.3k | Best Buy Store Card - 21k | Furniture Row - 19.7k | Lowes Card - 16k | NFCU LOC - 15k | Amazon Store - 12k | Macy's - 6000
Message 2 of 36
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

I doubt they will do anything. It is very interesting to see how inconsistent banks are with their policies. I had 2 Chase cards (CSP 15.7k, Freedom 10.2k) when I got approved for the Marriott card in May. They still gave me a 15.1k limit. I think they like the larger limits to be theirs, not other cards. I have not known them to be so picky as to close cards though. People on the forums who report closure or balance chasing (in general) have lots of other things going on with their reports than just opening of another card. 

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 3 of 36
enharu
Super Contributor

It's unlikely they will do anything, though the possibility does exist. Just be careful with your utilization and reduce the number of account openings for the near future, and you should be fine. There have been instances where people got CLD / account closure though when the creditor determined he/she has too much credit compared to income. Only way to get around that is to either close some other useless trade lines, or start making more money.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 36
Mopar_Jones
Contributor

Thanks guys...

For all of you who have Chase cards.. how long after getting it should I try for a CLI? This is going to be the card we use for everything and PIF every month.. With her higest line at $20,000+ I felt $9k was a little low for her income...

Message 5 of 36
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@Mopar_Jones wrote:

Thanks guys...

For all of you who have Chase cards.. how long after getting it should I try for a CLI? This is going to be the card we use for everything and PIF every month.. With her higest line at $20,000+ I felt $9k was a little low for her income...

I spend about 20k through a 5k CL in 6 months.  Called in and they doubled my credit line pretty easily, I asked for 15 and they did 10 becasue my highest line at the time was 6k.

with her having 20k I don't see why you can't use it for 4-6 months and call in and get it raised pretty close to that.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 6 of 36
enharu
Super Contributor

I would say use it for 6 months at least. You could ask for one in 3 months, but IMO you will probably get the best bang for your buck if you ask for one at around 12 month mark.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 36
Mopar_Jones
Contributor

Yeah.. we'll probably wait until the 12 month mark.. but it's good to know it's possible to do it sooner.

How about anybody with opinons regarding the Marriott card as far as rewards? I know it's almost the same as the CSP minus the cashback option. Good deal for the $85 AF? Pay for itself?

Message 8 of 36
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

It will pay for itself, with the 1 night free certificate every year. The cert is good for a Cat 1-5 hotel (the one you get when the card is approved is Cat 1-4, the annual certificate is good for a Cat1-5 hotel at card anniversary). This alone is worth the $85 a year. Also, if you got card with the 50k bonus, call them back and see if they will match you for the 70k binus after 1k spend. 70k points is worth another 2-3 nights in a hotel.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 9 of 36
enharu
Super Contributor

Creditscholar did a nice breakdown on the Marriott card. You can try searching for his post. Basically you need to stay there quite frequently to maximize the benefits of the card. For people who do not spend as much time at hotels, they are usually better off with other hotel co-branded cards such Hilton
Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.