Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase - Marriott Thoughts?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase - Marriott Thoughts?

So I've heard people raving about it and I thought I'd take a look. After reviewing it I have a few questions in hoping people can answer Smiley Happy

1) Is the annual free night only given after you've had the card for 1 year or do you get it within the 1st year?

2) 80k points sign up bonus does that really mean $800 in statement Credit?!?!

3) What does category 1-5 hotels mean? Or how can I see them?

4) I mean the $85 AF is taken care of with the annual free night so what's the downside to this card?

5) What credit score would you say (estimate) is the minimum they would accept for this card?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase - Marriott Thoughts?

Also is the 80k bonus standard or is it typically less?
Message 2 of 28
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So I've heard people raving about it and I thought I'd take a look. After reviewing it I have a few questions in hoping people can answer Smiley Happy

1) Is the annual free night only given after you've had the card for 1 year or do you get it within the 1st year? It's an anniversary bonus - after the first year

2) 80k points sign up bonus does that really mean $800 in statement Credit?!?! No - it's 80,000 MARRIOTT points 

3) What does category 1-5 hotels mean? Or how can I see them? http://www.marriott.com/rewards/pointsGridPopUp.mi?awardType=Standard

4) I mean the $85 AF is taken care of with the annual free night so what's the downside to this card? That free night generally will be worth far more than the AF

5) What credit score would you say (estimate) is the minimum they would accept for this card? Check the database for the credit pulls  on the other website

Thanks!

Also, I believe that the card is subject to 5/24

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 3 of 28
redpat
Senior Contributor

OP, the last I read is that you were running up some cc debt  and just added two or three business cards.  Also you are waiting for a result of a Ink card, why in the "he double hockey" sticks are you looking for another card?  I n addition, 3K spend requirement over the next three months, from the looks of it you cannot afford.

Slow your roll!

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Red pat - Business and Personal credit are two completely seperate things none of those business cards report to personal and they're used primarily for business expenses. We haven't gotten and new personal cards in a while and the ink cash card is a business card.
Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also I ask a lot on my SO's behalf so maybe it seems like I'm going credit crazy but I'm not I have 3 credit cards and 3 store cards in my name one of which I'll close in the next month because it'll never unsecure even with my now 680 FICO.
Message 6 of 28
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Just a thought
If you post on your SO's behalf, maybe you should state that.... lol
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 7 of 28
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

1) Is the annual free night only given after you've had the card for 1 year or do you get it within the 1st year?

2) 80k points sign up bonus does that really mean $800 in statement Credit?!?!

3) What does category 1-5 hotels mean? Or how can I see them?

4) I mean the $85 AF is taken care of with the annual free night so what's the downside to this card?

5) What credit score would you say (estimate) is the minimum they would accept for this card?

Thanks!

It's a good value for $85...if you can stay within the 1-5 category limit.

Some people...myself included...feel Marriott is a bit too aggressive in putting mid-quality hotels (or even primitive ones in expensive areas) into high categories (6 and above). This can make using the annual night difficult.

There are some nice places in the category 1-5 range...but I'd want a better selection.

By comparison, IHG's annual night ($49 AF) is valid anywhere...NYC, San Fran, London, French Polynesia...take your pick. I used mine for Times Square on New Year's Eve.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 28
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a good value for $85...if you can stay within the 1-5 category limit.

Some people...myself included...feel Marriott is a bit too aggressive in putting mid-quality hotels (or even primitive ones in expensive areas) into high categories (6 and above). This can make using the annual night difficult.

There are some nice places in the category 1-5 range...but I'd want a better selection.

By comparison, IHG's annual night ($49 AF) is valid anywhere...NYC, San Fran, London, French Polynesia...take your pick. I used mine for Times Square on New Year's Eve.

I agree, I have a hard time finding a good use out of my category 1-5 cert.. There aren't many appealing options below 7, for me personally

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the Hyatt and IHG credit cards offer better redemptions on the free night awards compared to Marriott credit card... and these cards are not subject to the 5/24.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.