Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Marriott Visa Signature Advice Neede

tag
icetrap06
Regular Contributor

Chase Marriott Visa Signature Advice Neede

So at the end of 2012, I went on an app spree and picked up a few new cards.

Discover IT - 6k

Citi Hilton - 4k

Amex Green

Capital One - 1k CLI

Prior to these approvals I only had two Capital One Cards (500 limit prior to increase to 1.5k and secured card with 1k limit).

I had also applied for the Chase Marriott rewards card.  I was declined, and when I called for recon...I was advised that my reason for denial was not having a limit above 5k (required for signature i guess).

My question is, technically I do have a card with an above 5k limit, however it is brand new and not reporting.  Should I just let sleeping dogs rest as bringing it up could make my app spree evident to them?  In addition, I don't want to get an FR by AMEX by getting to much new credit at one time.

Any thoughts??

NFCU cashRewards (22k) | Discover IT (8k) | AMEX EveryDay (5k) | AMEX Delta Gold (5k) | CSP (5k) | Marriott Rewards Premier (5k) | Citi Hilton Reserve(5k) | AMEX SPG (2k)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scores: EQ - 670 | TU- 742 | EX - 691
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
beb86
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Marriott Visa Signature Advice Neede

Print off your Discover conformation and fax it to them

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@beb86 wrote:

Print off your Discover conformation and fax it to them

+1 .. I just approved for marriott card. It was my first card with 5k limit, however i got CLI inc from amex to 6k but that was not reporting when chase approved my card. I guess they shud approve if u send some proof..

Message 3 of 9
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@icetrap06 wrote:

So at the end of 2012, I went on an app spree and picked up a few new cards.

Discover IT - 6k

Citi Hilton - 4k

Amex Green

Capital One - 1k CLI

Prior to these approvals I only had two Capital One Cards (500 limit prior to increase to 1.5k and secured card with 1k limit).

I had also applied for the Chase Marriott rewards card.  I was declined, and when I called for recon...I was advised that my reason for denial was not having a limit above 5k (required for signature i guess).

My question is, technically I do have a card with an above 5k limit, however it is brand new and not reporting.  Should I just let sleeping dogs rest as bringing it up could make my app spree evident to them?  In addition, I don't want to get an FR by AMEX by getting to much new credit at one time.

Any thoughts??

I would hold off for now. The reason is that Chase (like many banks) want to see how you manage a higher CL in addition to just "having" a higher credit line. It wouldn't hurt to call but if they refuse to budge give it a few months and when it reports a balance and you pay it off they will see that you used a higher limit card and know how to manage the temptation of a higher CL Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 9
icetrap06
Regular Contributor

I appreciate everyone's reply. 

The only thing still bugging me is how AMEX may reactive if I do pick up one more card (which would obviously be above a 5K limit).  In essense, I would be going from 1.5k total credit before to 12.5k and a NPSL.

NFCU cashRewards (22k) | Discover IT (8k) | AMEX EveryDay (5k) | AMEX Delta Gold (5k) | CSP (5k) | Marriott Rewards Premier (5k) | Citi Hilton Reserve(5k) | AMEX SPG (2k)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 9
JustJen
Regular Contributor

You've already applied so I don't see the harm in asking and providing chase with proof of an account with a minimum of 5k, if that's the reason why they're not granting the approval. I don't hold too much stock in that though as I was granted a chase united signature card with a 10k limit when my highest CL at the time was only 2k at the time. I wouldn't worry about adverse action from AMEX.

Message 6 of 9
Tryon2improve
Regular Contributor

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT FR!!!  As stated so many times on here, it is a term that is abused and rarely happens.  Am I worried about a FR? NO.  I have a Delta Amex since 07 CLD in 2008 and tried to get a CLI for years, then BAM November 2012 rolls around and get 3x CLI, I then added NFCU, Citi, Chase, Regions, within a  month.  Amex has SP'd me 11 times since November.  I then App'd for the Hilton Honors Amex on 1/1/13 and Approved for a CL higher than my Delta Amex, then today I got approved for a Platinum Card.  with a 653 Fico, my income is only $64k and I have 4 derog accounts, including a 2.8 year old forclosure.

So no DO NOT WORRY ABOUT FR.

Message 7 of 9
icetrap06
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the additional info...I've been reading a lot of posts on here and it seems like most of the AMEX ones contain something about FR...lol. 

Point taken...I will try to give them a call back today, hopefully I haven't waited too long (been about 25 days or so).

Message 8 of 9
icetrap06
Regular Contributor

So, I went for it and called back to provide proof of my new account.  The rep was really nice, but advised me that it needs to be posted to my CR.  He also stated that ideally it needs to report for a few months before I re-apply.  So I guess that Hard Pull is burned, oh well I tried at least.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.