Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Mileage Plus Explorer

tag
chiyex
Valued Member

Re: Chase Mileage Plus Explorer

what was your credit score when you got approved for 12k?

Message 11 of 25
creditstarved
Valued Member

@RhubarbPie wrote:

@zeusta20 wrote:

Does anyone have this card from Chase for United Airlines? Is it worth it? I heard that it wasn't but I wanted to get your guys' opinion on it.

Thanks for any input!

If you have miles in your United account (any amount, 100 miles would do...there just needs to be recent activity of any kind), you should get the 50,000 miles offer (plus an additional 5000 if you ad an AU), which is definitely worth it in my opinion. The AF is waived the first year. After the first year, you can try for a retention bonus/see if theyll waive the fee, and if not, you can decide to cancel it if you don't want to pay the fee. But to me, 55,000 miles is worth it.

Edit: I just checked, and actually it looks like the 50,000 miles offer is dead at this point. The 30,000 offer is still good, and you'll get an extra 5K for adding an AU.

The 50k + 5k bonus is still around. Google around for some discussion on how to get it to show up. What I did was use Bckstgr's website to generate some point activity and then refreshed my Mileage Points account page on United. Eventually the 30k sign up bonus was showing 50k.

Good luck!

Starting Score: EQ FICO 773 (Jan. 2013)
Current Score: EQ FICO 783 (Feb. 2013)
Goal Score: EQ FICO 850

What's in my wallet? Chase Freedom - 1.9k || Chase United Explorer Signature Visa - 8.5k || Chase Priority Club Select Signature Visa - 5.9k || Citi Platinum Rewards - 4k || Citi Simplicity - 9.1k || GE Capital/Ashley Furniture 3.5k || Penfed Rewards Visa - 5k
Message 12 of 25
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

honestly, I don't know my exp score. last official one was in July and was 676 from amex. at that time, my credit sesame was 681. as of today, my sesame is 726 and was 721 at time of ua app. best guess is low 700s.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 13 of 25
bribro
Valued Contributor

I applied for this card about a month ago with the 55k MP points offer. Those 55k points are worth $1,500+ to me so it was worth the minor ding on my credit report. I used the card to book a United flight that cost ~$1,100, thus reaching my minimum spend and getting 2x on the spend. I doubt I'll ever use this card again and will probably cancel after the first year. As others said, it's useful for infrequent travelers because of the free checked bag, but United elites benefit too since you can get upgrades on award tickets.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 14 of 25
HiLine
Blogger

If you fly United and check bags often, this is the card for you. Otherwise, stick with the CSP. The lounge access vouchers can be purchased on eBay for $15 a piece, so they don't make a real difference.

Message 15 of 25
pastnow123
Regular Contributor

I have CSP and would like to apply for a united pretty soon. key benefits for united is primary rental insuance (if u don't know the different between primary and secondary rental insurance. google it. huge difference. very limitied number of cc have this benefit), free bag checking, and lounge access. if u rent 3-5 days a year, u can easily earn back the annual fee with primary rental insurance alone. If you travel and rent a lot, that can worth $$$

key benefit for csp is cool, made of metal, point transfer ability

really depend on what u need

Message 16 of 25
HiLine
Blogger

I'm surprised that Chase's most expensive card does not cover primary rental insurance. Smiley Indifferent

Message 17 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 18 of 25
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

I'm surprised that Chase's most expensive card does not cover primary rental insurance. Smiley Indifferent

The United Club and JPM Ritz Carlton cards offer primary insurance. They're fairly expensive in terms of AFs at $395 each.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 19 of 25
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

the palladium DOES include primary rental insurance (and is certainly their most expensive card). if you meant the csp, it is really more of a "points" card than a "perks" card.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.