Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Mileage Plus Explorer

tag
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Chase Mileage Plus Explorer

Does anyone have this card from Chase for United Airlines? Is it worth it? I heard that it wasn't but I wanted to get your guys' opinion on it.

Thanks for any input!

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Mileage Plus Explorer

From a pure points earning perspective, the CSP is better so you'd only get it for the perks like a free checked bag, etc. It's not a bad card for infrequent travellers (2-5 times per year) and moderate spenders (20-30k). Heavy spenders and frequent travellers would be better off with the Club card instead. 

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 2 of 25
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Oh okay. Gotcha. Thanks for the input! I always heard mixed messages about it, so I just thought i'd ask.

But seeing your Signature, you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred. I'm saving one more spot on my credit card portfolio for that card. I've been wondering about the material of the card. I heard that that card is a little harder than normal credit cards. the "hard plastic" I guess. Is that true? Or does it feel just like any other credit card out there? I was just curious for when I do get it...I'm gonna have to switch from a wallet to a credit card holder.lol.

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 3 of 25
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@zeusta20 wrote:

Oh okay. Gotcha. Thanks for the input! I always heard mixed messages about it, so I just thought i'd ask.

But seeing your Signature, you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred. I'm saving one more spot on my credit card portfolio for that card. I've been wondering about the material of the card. I heard that that card is a little harder than normal credit cards. the "hard plastic" I guess. Is that true? Or does it feel just like any other credit card out there? I was just curious for when I do get it...I'm gonna have to switch from a wallet to a credit card holder.lol.

It's noticably heavier than normal cards and you can tell as soon as you pick it up. The card has a metal layer in the centre, and then plastic on both sides. 

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 4 of 25
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

@zeusta20 wrote:

Does anyone have this card from Chase for United Airlines? Is it worth it? I heard that it wasn't but I wanted to get your guys' opinion on it.

Thanks for any input!

I have the explorer and the csp. For me, it came down to checked bags. With a young son, going "carry on only" is no longer realistic. one round trip flight with two checked bags offsets the AF. I also like the primary rental car insurance and "priority" boarding (you get to board ahead of the twenty Americans left that dont have priority boarding on ua). But the bags are the key.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 5 of 25
jritch
New Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@zeusta20 wrote:

It's noticably heavier than normal cards and you can tell as soon as you pick it up. The card has a metal layer in the centre, and then plastic on both sides. 

That always interests me. Slightly off topic, but I just received the Hyatt Chase card, which is also Visa Signature and has an EMV chip, and it's very flimsy compared to standard cc material. I almost thought it was a temporary card. What's even more odd is the introductory packaging it comes in which is super premium - similar to Amex Platinum. Weird

Message 6 of 25
RhubarbPie
New Contributor

@zeusta20 wrote:

Thanks for any input!

If you have miles in your United account (any amount, 100 miles would do...there just needs to be recent activity of any kind), you should get the 50,000 miles offer (plus an additional 5000 if you ad an AU), which is definitely worth it in my opinion. The AF is waived the first year. After the first year, you can try for a retention bonus/see if theyll waive the fee, and if not, you can decide to cancel it if you don't want to pay the fee. But to me, 55,000 miles is worth it.

Edit: I just checked, and actually it looks like the 50,000 miles offer is dead at this point. The 30,000 offer is still good, and you'll get an extra 5K for adding an AU.

Message 7 of 25
chiyex
Valued Member

can i use this card for general purchases also? do they give good credit limits?

Message 8 of 25
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

It is a visa card (mine is a visa signature) and you get 1 united mile per dollar spent on general purchases. As Credit Scholar suggested, the CSP is a better way to earn united miles for general spend, but you certainly can use it.

It is a chase backed card and they certainly give high limits if your income/credit history justify it. They gave me 12k 2 months after I had to recon for approval on a CSP at 5k. I have no idea if the cost/type of tickets you are buying when you apply matters, but it was my highest initial limit ever (though not my highest limit)

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 9 of 25
chiyex
Valued Member

i have a csp of 5k limit. was just trying to know if this card is hard to get. i am also a heavy spender and can spend up to 30k in a month cos i buy merchandises and flip them for profit.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.