cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase - Nervous about AA / account closure and question about total CL exposure for AUs

tag
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase - Nervous about AA / account closure and question about total CL exposure for AUs

12 CC's, Auto loan, LOC totalling 135k in 1 year and Chase is still keeping me as a customer (so far).  My exposure is quite less with Chase at 11k so that is certainly a difference.  I PIF and report less than $100 a month on 1 card.   I run 2k - 3k a month thru Chase Cards.   My scores are low at 680 - 710.  I have an open FED Tax Lien.   My income is Poor (42k).   My AU's credit sucks (2 AU's, both on 2 Chase cards with low/mid 600 scores).  weeeeeeeeeeee

Some of what i have read here... closures when rewards are racked up questionably or,   a business account is involved with personal account... and a few having mega exposure, medium UTIL and many new accounts when they got nuked by Chase.

I'm betting yours will be A-OK.

good luck  

util43015.png

Message 11 of 28
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: Chase - Nervous about AA / account closure and question about total CL exposure for AUs

I was always afraid Chase could AA me but I'm very grateful they haven't and hope to keep it that way. I got every card I need from them and have no intentions of getting more. AA isn't necessarily just a Chase thing at all. Citi and Amex can do it too and have before.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 12 of 28
12njoy
Super Contributor

@syeb wrote:

I have read enough posts here about Chase and other CC companies' virtually random AA whether with CLD or account closure to be nervous.

After not having any rewards cards, or even using credit cards much over the past 6 years, and closing out (6 months ahead of schedule) a DMP that was started in the depths of the financial crisis, My wife and I both went on an app spree for rewards cards in preparation for some heavy vacation and other travel this summer and fall.

The background:

In total, my DW opened 11 new accounts totaling $65k in credit lines and one Amex PRG charge. No denials so inquiries equal approvals and the inqs were mostly TU with a few EX and EQ. And of course CapOne all three CRAs.

FICO scores are EQ: 733, TU: 740, and EX: 714. Prior to the app spree they were in the 740 - 750 range so reasonable movement.

Util is between 10-15%.

AAOA is 3.5 years

Total Chase exposure is four cards totalling $32k

CSP        $10k CL,    $800 balance will be paid this week

BA           $10k,           $0 balance

Marriott   $6k,             $1,500 balance will be paid this week

United    $6K,             Approved today when I saw the 50k miles offer

So question #1: Do I need to worry about account closures considering 11 new accounts is pretty significant? Consider that they did approve the United card today so perhaps I am being unnecessarily nervous. And the Chase exposure is not that terrible.

Question #2: a more general question - does Chase or other lenders count the CL for an account for which one is an AU in calculating total exposure to that lender?

Thanks!

As one poster said, pay your bills and on time.  Keep utilization down and you'll be fine.  I've opened up 30+ cards amassing over 300k since my Chase approval and no AA (as I'm knocking on wood) on my sole Chase account.  Granted, they won't extend anymore credit to me because I have too much available credit.  Even if they did give me some AA, their $10,000 wont hurt me at all.

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby (1.6M)/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 13 of 28
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

I was always afraid Chase could AA me but I'm very grateful they haven't and hope to keep it that way. I got every card I need from them and have no intentions of getting more. AA isn't necessarily just a Chase thing at all. Citi and Amex can do it too and have before.

Popa which cards do you have now with Chase?

Message 14 of 28
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@joedtx wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

CSP, Chase AARP, and Freedom. I did more downsizing with them recently

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 15 of 28
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

@joedtx wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

CSP, Chase AARP, and Freedom. I did more downsizing with them recently

Trimming off the fat....eh? A leaner meaner Popa for the Summer Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 28
daniki
New Contributor

The only time I ever got a CLD with Chase (Freedom) was when I made a couple late payments back in 2007. I have maxed out my card, made minimum payments, PIF, maxed it again, PIF, etc, etc, over the past 7 years and I've never gotten another CLD. In my opinion, a late payment might trigger a CLD. I can't give an opinion on account closure since that has never happened to me.
Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they approved you today, I wouldn't give it a second thought.  You're good!  I think if you did something crazy like max one out, they might get nervous.  Congrats on all the approvals!  Smiley Very Happy  I did 10 in 1 month and never thought about it.  Been 6 months now & I'm glad I did.

Message 18 of 28
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

A bit late to worry about now IMO.  This should be considered before a massive spree Smiley Tongue   For now you can only do as suggested and keep your balance low. 

Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you'll be okay!
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.