cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Old Product Change Cards Still Valid?

tag
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Chase Old Product Change Cards Still Valid?

We have one Chase card that was changed a couple times recently. CSP, Sappire, Freedom Unlimited.  The card number remains the same, but the expiration and CVC code have changed each time.  I just wonder if the old cards still work.  Of course we only receive the benefits from current active card.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase Old Product Change Cards Still Valid?

Once a new CVV and expiration date are generated (regardless of acct number) the former "product" types are no longer valid.  Try using one for kicks and giggles.

Message 2 of 5
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

When you activate a new card, the new CVV takes effect. That would pretty much render the old cards useless.

You're likely to be OK under most circumstances if you use the previous expiration date. Recurring payments will likely continue until the previous expiration date has passed. Still, I'd recommend updating any recurring payments just in case.

Message 3 of 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Heh. Odd that you should specifically mention Chase. DW was using Freedom card a while back and mentioned that she needed a new card. She was using the old pre-VS Freedom card, that was part of the PC fiasco I had last spring. She was using it with no problems, even though it had been reissued as a FU, FU VS, and then the correct F VS (all in the span of a weekend).

Edit: Also Discover cards will continue to work unless you specifically deactivate them until the card is expired.
Message 4 of 5
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

SO changed the Chase FU card to regular Freedom card. Still waiting for the new card to come.  I have an old AU card from this one.  I removed myself.  So technically I'm not an AU any more.

Today I successfully added this old AU card with my own name.  And Chase verified successfully.  Card number and CVV code both work.  It shows in my wallet as the new Freedom card.  

This gets me thinking.  I believe most of the old pre-PC cards should still work.  The cancelled AU cards should work without any problem at all.  We probably won't even activate the new Freedom card and both old cards would stilll work.

I just do not want to add myself to this new card as an AU.  But the old cards are still good for 2.5 more years. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.