cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Palladium - still a good card to get?

tag
pinipig523
Established Member

Re: Chase Palladium - still a good card to get?

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

The types of people who can easily qualify for the Chase Palladium and the AmEx Centurion, seem to be the people who are least obsessed with getting one.

When you've truly arrived - you wont need to announce it.

That's what my wife of 2y says... she says that it will just attract attention.  

She's fine with her non-descript Chase Disney Visa... although if you look closely, you can see a mickey mouse imprint on it... lol.

I think the card looks cool but I just want to know I'm getting a decent amount of perks with the $595 that I would have to shell out to use it.  $595 is a decent amount of money, I can think of many things that it can purchase.  

Message 11 of 19
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Semi related... Im going to disney next weekend.

I love having friends who work there

#FreeDisney
Message 12 of 19
TM82
Regular Contributor

@pinipig523 wrote:

The types of people who can easily qualify for the Chase Palladium and the AmEx Centurion, seem to be the people who are least obsessed with getting one.

She's fine with her non-descript Chase Disney Visa... although if you look closely, you can see a mickey mouse imprint on it... lol.

I think the card looks cool but I just want to know I'm getting a decent amount of perks with the $595 that I would have to shell out to use it.  $595 is a decent amount of money, I can think of many things that it can purchase.  

Some of the benefits that I was able to receive when I signed up were

- Upgrade to GHA Black level

- Membership into the United Club card

- Upgrade to a suite level when I traveled to Cancun (this by itself was worth more than the AF for the first year)

Some of the reasons that I like the card

- 35k bonus points if you spend $100k

- Hidden tradeline

Some of the reasons why I think I might cancel (can't downgrade since the Select is no longer available)

- They haven't added any noticeable benefits since I've had it

- I hardly ever use the card anymore since the bonus categories are worse than the CSP

- It attracts too much attention.  The first time I used it in a restaurant, it got passed back and forth among at least 7 employees.  This was done not in front of me, but I could see the wait staff in the corner of the room passing it around and each of them 'weighing' the card in their hands.  That's why I don't swipe the card if it's not in my sight at all times.  And it's just not worth it to me to have to remain so vigiliant with a simple credit card.

- The conceirge while good, remains unnecessary to me most times since I'm not a high maintainence customer and I like to do my own work.  I can book my own hotel rooms, can book my own reservations. 

I'm seriously considering just getting the Club card and consolidating the Pd credit line to it. 

My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 13 of 19
pinipig523
Established Member

@TM82 wrote:

@pinipig523 wrote:

- Upgrade to a suite level when I traveled to Cancun (this by itself was worth more than the AF for the first year)

- Hidden tradeline

Some of the reasons why I think I might cancel (can't downgrade since the Select is no longer available)

- I hardly ever use the card anymore since the bonus categories are worse than the CSP

- It attracts too much attention.  The first time I used it in a restaurant, it got passed back and forth among at least 7 employees.  This was done not in front of me, but I could see the wait staff in the corner of the room passing it around and each of them 'weighing' the card in their hands.  That's why I don't swipe the card if it's not in my sight at all times.  And it's just not worth it to me to have to remain so vigiliant with a simple credit card.

- The conceirge while good, remains unnecessary to me most times since I'm not a high maintainence customer and I like to do my own work.  I can book my own hotel rooms, can book my own reservations. 

I'm seriously considering just getting the Club card and consolidating the Pd credit line to it. 

Thanks for the info...

1.  What is GHA?

2.  What is United level card?

3.  The 35K bonus - what's the usual daily point system on the card?  

4.  How is CSP better?

Thanks!

Message 14 of 19
TM82
Regular Contributor

@pinipig523 wrote:

@TM82 wrote:

@pinipig523 wrote:

- Hidden tradeline

Thanks for the info...

1.  What is GHA?

4.  How is CSP better?

Thanks!

GHA is the Global Hotel Alliance.  Similar to Amex's FHR program, it's a collaberation of various hotel chains (OMNI, etc).  Most of the hotels are not that well known to US travelers, but black level is the highest level that gives you early check-in as early as 9AM, late checkout as late as 6PM, etc.  It's not that useful becaues again if you're travling mostly in the US you'll stay at a Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, etc. 

United Club is the lounge access.  It's not an official perk of this card but users were having success calling up and requesting access to it.  It's usually around $500 if you don't have elite status with United.

Daily point system is the same 1 point per dollar except for travel which is 2 points per dollar.  So overall it's not a great card in terms of getting points, similiar to the Amex Platinum which is a weak point generating card but good in terms of benefits.

CSP is better because of the 2 points per dollar in dining and travel.  It's better because of the 7% dividend (though if you spend 100k, it's a 35% dividend). 

My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 15 of 19
pinipig523
Established Member

@TM82 wrote:

@pinipig523 wrote:

@TM82 wrote:

@pinipig523 wrote:

- Hidden tradeline

Thanks for the info...

1.  What is GHA?

4.  How is CSP better?

Thanks!

GHA is the Global Hotel Alliance.  Similar to Amex's FHR program, it's a collaberation of various hotel chains (OMNI, etc).  Most of the hotels are not that well known to US travelers, but black level is the highest level that gives you early check-in as early as 9AM, late checkout as late as 6PM, etc.  It's not that useful becaues again if you're travling mostly in the US you'll stay at a Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, etc. 

United Club is the lounge access.  It's not an official perk of this card but users were having success calling up and requesting access to it.  It's usually around $500 if you don't have elite status with United.

Daily point system is the same 1 point per dollar except for travel which is 2 points per dollar.  So overall it's not a great card in terms of getting points, similiar to the Amex Platinum which is a weak point generating card but good in terms of benefits.

CSP is better because of the 2 points per dollar in dining and travel.  It's better because of the 7% dividend (though if you spend 100k, it's a 35% dividend). 

1.  WHat is the 7% vs 35% dividend?

2.  Regarding GHA - does this include Four Seasons?  We usually stay at a Four Seasons when we travel - Maui usually.

Message 16 of 19
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@pinipig523 wrote:

@TM82 wrote:

@pinipig523 wrote:

@TM82 wrote:

@pinipig523 wrote:

- Hidden tradeline

Thanks for the info...

1.  What is GHA?

4.  How is CSP better?

Thanks!

1.  WHat is the 7% vs 35% dividend?  With CSP you get a 7% bonus on the points you've accumulation over the year.  On the paladium he's saying you get 35k bonus points if you charge $100k through the year equating a 35% bonus.  

2.  Regarding GHA - does this include Four Seasons?  We usually stay at a Four Seasons when we travel - Maui usually.

Message 17 of 19
pinipig523
Established Member

I'm headed to a Chase Private Client meeting today and I'll talk with them regarding the Palladium among other things.

Message 18 of 19
pinipig523
Established Member

Dang it... I was there at a meeting with the Private Banker and the Private Investor - and I forgot all about the stupid Palladium card!!

Argh!!

We were talking investments and the card totally slipped my mind.  

Gotta go back on wednesday to ask...

... btw, is the Sapphire Preferred technically a "better" card than Palladium?

Does Palladium get you 20% off UR site when booking for vacations also?

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.