New Contributor
IIIII

Chase Platinum = Chase Freedom?

Just curious, wanted to ask this a few months ago but never got around to it. I applied for for a Chase Freedom MasterCard was approved and for the welcoming email i got a few days later it said Chase Platinum instead of Chase Freedom.

Starting Score: (1/22/2010) TU 759, Eq 742
Current Score: (6/22/2010) TU 724, Eq 735
Goal Score: (1/01/2011) TU 800, Eq 783

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
creditwherecreditisdue

Re: Chase Platinum = Chase Freedom?

IIIII wrote:
Just curious, wanted to ask this a few months ago but never got around to it. I applied for for a Chase Freedom MasterCard was approved and for the welcoming email i got a few days later it said Chase Platinum instead of Chase Freedom.

Not the same card. Platinum = no rewards, Freedom = rewards.
Regular Contributor
BP2003

Chase Platinum was changed to Chase Slate (which, of course, doesn't have any rewards)
***From ashy to classy***
Frequent Contributor
FicoScore626

Which one is their most basic card? Basically the card that people with good but not excellent credit stand a chance of getting approved for?
New Contributor
IIIII

[ Edited ]

I guess Chase just made a mistake, i did receive a Chase Freedom Card and thats what i applied for but got the Chase Platinum welcome email.

Going to see about doing a product change to the Sapphire in a few months. Anybody had any luck with that?

Message Edited by IIIII on 11-18-2009 07:59 AM

Starting Score: (1/22/2010) TU 759, Eq 742
Current Score: (6/22/2010) TU 724, Eq 735
Goal Score: (1/01/2011) TU 800, Eq 783

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
BungalowMo

FicoScore626 wrote:
Which one is their most basic card? Basically the card that people with good but not excellent credit stand a chance of getting approved for?

What are your scores & baddies?

Starting Score: 07/2011 TU 732 - EQ 717 - EX 702
Current Score: 06/2014 TU 739 - EQ '08 709 - EX 721
Goal Score: 850

Bury me in the garden...last app 06.18.14

Senior Contributor
creditwherecreditisdue

FicoScore626 wrote:

Platinum now Slate, but if you do not have pretty good credit I would not waste an app.
Frequent Contributor
FicoScore626

BungalowMo wrote:

FicoScore626 wrote:

My scores aren't satisfactory yet (663 TransUnion FICO, 644 Equifax FICO, and 654 Experian PLUS) but they've been improving every month. But I was thinking that at least 6 months - 1 year from now I'd apply for a Chase card since acquiring a Chase credit card is one of my main goals since I've been banking with them since 2003.. I've got my utilization under control. TransUnion has it at 4%, Equifax has it at 3% and Experian has the percentage of my Revolving Credit Available as 97%. I plan on maintaining and even lowering the utilization percentages over the course of the next few months in hopes of bettering my scores.

My baddies are a bunch of late payments on my student loan. The worst of which happened sometime between 2003 - 2005.. The most recent ones are over a year old. On the plus side, one of my student loans is about to get obliterated early next month and then I can focus on getting rid of the second loan, hopefully before the new year.

I wasted an inquiry applying for the Amazon visa (what the hell was I thinking??) and Chase sent me a denial letter stating that I had too many recent inquiries. They didn't even mention any of the baddies.Same thing with Capital One, so that gives me a little bit of hope. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
FicoScore626

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

FicoScore626 wrote:

Platinum now Slate, but if you do not have pretty good credit I would not waste an app.

Yeah, I plan on holding off for a while. I currently have 5 cards (MasterCards and store cards) that I'm currently building some positive credit history with and hoping to reap the FICO rewards down the line. I always got the feeling that Chase was somewhat of a tough bank to get credit with so I'd like for my credit profile to look pretty decent before going full steam ahead and applying with them.

Regular Contributor
BP2003

[ Edited ]

FicoScore626 wrote:

BungalowMo wrote:

FicoScore626 wrote:

My scores aren't satisfactory yet (663 TransUnion FICO, 644 Equifax FICO, and 654 Experian PLUS) but they've been improving every month. But I was thinking that at least 6 months - 1 year from now I'd apply for a Chase card since acquiring a Chase credit card is one of my main goals since I've been banking with them since 2003.. I've got my utilization under control. TransUnion has it at 4%, Equifax has it at 3% and Experian has the percentage of my Revolving Credit Available as 97%. I plan on maintaining and even lowering the utilization percentages over the course of the next few months in hopes of bettering my scores.

My baddies are a bunch of late payments on my student loan. The worst of which happened sometime between 2003 - 2005.. The most recent ones are over a year old. On the plus side, one of my student loans is about to get obliterated early next month and then I can focus on getting rid of the second loan, hopefully before the new year.

I wasted an inquiry applying for the Amazon visa (what the hell was I thinking??) and Chase sent me a denial letter stating that I had too many recent inquiries. They didn't even mention any of the baddies.Same thing with Capital One, so that gives me a little bit of hope. :smileyhappy:

You should recon...I have plenty of baddies (4 on EQ, 16 on TU, 4 on EX...all older than 2 years) and I was originally denied by Chase, with scores very similar to yours (I applied approx. 3 weeks ago).  I called in explained everything, and basically asked for a "shot" and a low limit, and they gave me a $1500 Chase Slate...which I converted to a Chase Freedom (since it also has Blueprint along with the Rewards)

Message Edited by BP2003 on 11-18-2009 10:04 AM
***From ashy to classy***

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+