Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Points/Cash on Groceries

tag
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Points/Cash on Groceries

Depending on how much you spend on groceries take a look at the Amex BCP.  6% there and the 3% back on gas would be very good for the 6-9 months of the year it's not a Freedom category.

Message 11 of 15
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

I don't think I could justify the AF because I do most of my grocery shopping at Walmart and Target. I only do about 15% at a stand alone grocery store. So instead of the BCE, I think I'd rather the Penfed Platinum Rewards with 5x on Gas and 3x on Groceries.
Message 12 of 15
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

The Barclays Rewards MC gives 2 points per dollar on groceries. I just applied for it.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 13 of 15
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

I chose the grocery category as my 2% category on my Cash+ card, and my local Walmart & Target Supercenters are both recognized as grocery for my purchases.  The nice part is that there is no cap on the 2% category rewards.  And until August 10th, I'm actually getting 2.75% cash back on grocery since I have a platinum checking pkg. and I also only redeem my rewards in $100 increments so that I get the $25 bonus.

My DH has a BofA Cash Rewards card and that also provides 2% cash back on grocery purchases (including Walmart & Target Superstores), but there is the cap of $1500 per quarter.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 14 of 15
bs6054
Valued Contributor

We spend a lot on groceries, so the cap on the BCP was a problem. 

My plan was to use BCP for the first $6K each year, then switch to the Penfed Platinum Rewards at 3% for the rest (this is uncapped and can also be used abroad).  That will probably be my plan next year now, since I got the TYP which has 5x on groceries for 12 months.

I'm hoping another time-limited good offer comes before that expires!

There are other good offers out there depending on spend, e.g. Sallie Mae is 5% on the first $250 grocery spend per month, which can be fine for a single (or people who eat out a lot rather than buy groceries!).

But as the OP says, Chase aren't really in this field, except sometimes as a category in Freedom, which is limited to $75 per quarter.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.