Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Poking the Bear

tag
Bobbyjohnson
New Contributor

Chase Poking the Bear

I called the Ritz/JPM  #855 number to ask for a consolidation between my Marriott, CSP, and Ritz cards (tossing the Marriott out).

The CSR said she could see my accounts but the system would not allow the limtis to be transferred (she tried twice). She said I had to be transferred to "lending".  

Lending asks me about my request. They then tell me to hold as they will review my request and account before proceeding. They put me on hold for an loooong 5 minutes.

They come back with a "we can approve your request" how would you like your lines reallocated?

So proceed with caution, YMMV, etc. as my prior reallocation requests have always been super quick and without a "review".

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Poking the Bear

I wonder if it's because you have a ritz card, and they wanted to make sure your af wasn't at risk Smiley Wink 

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great news! Glad you could reallocate your CL's. Afraid this could have been another sign of changes at Chase but not.
Message 3 of 15
medo
Frequent Contributor

This really is hardly anything new.  I've transferred lines about 3 times now, and each time they transfer to the Lending department and ask a few questions - it has never been done by the first line csr I don't think.

Message 4 of 15
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a change on the moving limits policy as sometimes it goes hand in hand with the churning they're trying to prevent with the new "number of recent cards" thing.
Message 5 of 15
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

I got transferred when I  moved some of my freedom to my CSP.  They deffinetly SP you during the process to make sure all is still good with other lenders and them as well.  Forgot who I was transferred to, but normal  CSRs typically can't perform  this from  my experience.

Message 6 of 15
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a change on the moving limits policy as sometimes it goes hand in hand with the churning they're trying to prevent with the new "number of recent cards" thing.

I agree with this to some extent..  Mainly the people that transferred everything but 1k off the Ritz to another  Chase card to get their AF refunded.. They knew what they were getting into when getting  the card, so they should pony up the AF.. That is taking advantage of the system and probably part of the reason for Chase becoming harder to work with recently.  A very small part, but each time a person find a loop hole that cost the lender money the more they are  likely to close those loop holes.

Message 7 of 15
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Yeah I'm sure that whole "Ritz strategy" plays a part. Like you said if you don't wanna pay the fee dont apply. But oh well, sooner or later, the loopholes get closed.
Message 8 of 15
taxi818
Super Contributor

hmmm interesting. now they are not letting people with 5 accounts get new cards. nothing for me to reallocate. hehe. but i think i could go for co branded and be ok. just don't know which one. hmmm. maybe i just give the freedom some time under my belt. before even thinking about chase again.

Message 9 of 15
Bobbyjohnson
New Contributor

I've done this numerous times (probally about 4 times at least) without getting "transferred" to another CSR to Lending department for a review.  They have always done it on the spot with the 1st CSR I've called.  So take my recent experience as a true YMMV scenario.  I just know I've never been "passed" off to another CSR or told to be put on a hold for a review of my account before any CL reallocation could happen.

Also, I was transferring addtional CL to my Ritz (not taking away from the Ritz!)  My favorite aspect of the Ritz is the #855 number that gets me connected to a US CSR usually in the first telephone ring. It's been my primary card when traveling.  With my Amex it's a crapshoot if you get a stateside CSR without jumping through hoops.

As a data point if it helps others, I've now got the following exposure with Chase (40k CSP, 12k Ritz, 18k Ink Cash, 18k Ink Plus). I'm sure I'm at the near exposure with them. Especially without any personal or business checking relationship with them.

But in the end, I'm glad I got my ducks in a row with Chase and how I want my CL distributed across their product lines.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.