Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Prime, Downgrade if you Un-link?

tag
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Chase Prime, Downgrade if you Un-link?

If you upgrade the Chase Amazon to Prime and receive the new card, would Chase downgrade it if you unlink it and link another Amazon card?

Just wonder since we have two old Amazon cards.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Prime, Downgrade if you Un-link?

@BronzeTrader wrote:

If you upgrade the Chase Amazon to Prime and receive the new card, would Chase downgrade it if you unlink it and link another Amazon card?

Not as long as you are still a Prime member. You can not unlink the Chase card from you Amazon account unless you close your amazon account. But you can make another Amazon card your main payment option. They don't care where your prime payment comes from or how you pay for your items. But if you want to get the 5% that they now offer for prime you can't cancel the prime membership.

Message 2 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Message 3 of 6
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

Not as long as you are still a Prime member. You can not unlink the Chase card from you Amazon account unless you close your amazon account. But you can make another Amazon card your main payment option. They don't care where your prime payment comes from or how you pay for your items. But if you want to get the 5% that they now offer for prime you can't cancel the prime membership.

I can have two old Amazon CCs linked to the Prime amazon. But only one is upgraded to Prime. If I swap the Prime Amazon vs Standard Amazon CC, will the first Chase Prime CC be downgraded to regular Chase Amazon card? Amazon won't allow two Amazon CCs to be Prime CCs.

I know only one card receives 5% at checkout. And I could just swap the cards on the fly. But do I physically have two metal cards and one earn 5% and the other earn 3%? Or the 3% will be downgraded and the metal card expired....

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it was approved and once linked to your Amazon account through Chase and you have prime its considered a prime card. I think the 3% was before the mass upgrade to 5% for everyone who has Chase Amazon and Amazon Prime. Even though it might not change on your Chase Dashboard right away the rep over the phone advised me that all Chase Amazon cards are upgraded to prime if the cardholder has Prime. So the only way to downgrade is not have Prime at all. 

Message 5 of 6
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If it was approved and once linked to your Amazon account through Chase and you have prime its considered a prime card. I think the 3% was before the mass upgrade to 5% for everyone who has Chase Amazon and Amazon Prime. Even though it might not change on your Chase Dashboard right away the rep over the phone advised me that all Chase Amazon cards are upgraded to prime if the cardholder has Prime. So the only way to downgrade is not have Prime at all. 

I could be just over-thinking. If both cards are upgraded to Prime, only one card is active and linked to the Amazon Prime account. And the CCs won't earn any more other than at Amazon. So on paper, I still have two Chase Prime CCs, but only one is Prime active.....

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.