cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Q3 5% Categories - "More" is Wholesale Clubs!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Q3 5% Categories - "More" is Wholesale Clubs!!!

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

This is big.. Putting the hurt at least for 3 months on Citi's new costco card along with BofA 2% wholesale new thing.. Granted capped at $1500..  Good for Chase.

I think it was definitely a smart move on Chase's part.  10 days of swipes on Chase Visas at Costco didn't seem enough to satisfy the company on spend in my eyes.  41 days of swipes is a whole other matter.

41? 10+ one quarter = 102  (not taking the max into account)

ETA: But thanks for the early notice OP. Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

This is big.. Putting the hurt at least for 3 months on Citi's new costco card along with BofA 2% wholesale new thing.. Granted capped at $1500..  Good for Chase.

I think it was definitely a smart move on Chase's part.  10 days of swipes on Chase Visas at Costco didn't seem enough to satisfy the company on spend in my eyes.  41 days of swipes is a whole other matter.

41? 10+ one quarter = 102  (not taking the max into account)

ETA: But thanks for the early notice OP. Smiley Happy

LMAO...you are ABSOLUTELY correct...I only tabulated through July in my mind for some reason....off to correct my horrendous math!

Message 22 of 37
celluloid17
Established Contributor

This news makes me somewhat disappointed that I decided to PC my Freedom to an FU when I did.  I should have probably waited until after the third quareter.  Oh, well!  It's nice that Chase is making the Freedom somewhat competitive in the upcoming quarter, especially since Discover's Home Improvement offering isn't all that exciting if you don't own your own home. 

Message 23 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@celluloid17 wrote:

This news makes me somewhat disappointed that I decided to PC my Freedom to an FU when I did.  I should have probably waited until after the third quareter.  Oh, well!  It's nice that Chase is making the Freedom somewhat competitive in the upcoming quarter, especially since Discover's Home Improvement offering isn't all that exciting if you don't own your own home. 

If you don't mind me asking...what made you PC to the FU?  Were you not seeing enough personal benefit from the rotating categories?

Message 24 of 37
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

If you don't mind me asking...what made you PC to the FU?  Were you not seeing enough personal benefit from the rotating categories?

I'm not a huge fan of rotating categories and often times the categories would overlap with Discover or was already covered by another cash back card I have.  Cards lose me when their categories are Home Improvement or diapers (very niche categories), etc. so I wasn't using my Freedom card much for awhile and it was just living in a sock drawer so I thought, I might as well PC it to an FU and make that a general spend card.  I'm endlessly attempting to simplify and spread my spend against fewer cards.  I hate having cards I don't use and I didn't want to close this one because I've had the account for awhile and I'd like to maintain the age.

Message 25 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of rotating categories and often times the categories would overlap with Discover or was already covered by another cash back card I have.  Cards lose me when their categories are Home Improvement or diapers (very niche categories), etc. so I wasn't using my Freedom card much for awhile and it was just living in a sock drawer so I thought, I might as well PC it to an FU and make that a general spend card.  I'm endlessly attempting to simplify and spread my spend against fewer cards.  I hate having cards I don't use and I didn't want to close this one because I've had the account for awhile and I'd like to maintain the age.

Gotcha!  Totally understandable about simplifying your portfolio...I'll be heading down that path in a year or so.  I absolutely HATED the diapers category...LOL.  But then again I haven't needed diapers in about 9 years.

Message 26 of 37
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

the 5% cashback at amazon for the last two quarters of the year is somewhat interesting for me, I am in search for a new laptop so that 5% could be quite nice for me:-)

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 27 of 37
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

While the activation for Q3 isn't available yet, it appears that Restaurants and More now is showing Restaurants and Wholesale Clubs!!!!

So looks like we can use Freedom and Costco through the end of Q2 (from 6/20) and all the way through Q3!

Edited to add the screenshot: 

mfq3.png

Nice, though my future employer (hint out) will not be happy in the change for spend.  Been reading up on profits for 2016 and bank card cc's.  Chase is outperforming Citi, but only for those carrying a balance.  I might want to renew membership with Costco this quarter, and keep it up (rumors are they will continue in the fourth quarter).

Signature needs updating
Message 28 of 37
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Nice!  Finally some usage for my Chase.  Glad to see a visa issuer putting up a strong bid for Costco spend (besides the citi card).

For those that don't have Chase, BoA CR now offers 2% cash back on wholesale stores.

Yes, those higher swipe fees, since Doublecash is a MasterCard.  Competition is good.  Smiley Tongue.  Especially when score is higher.

Signature needs updating
Message 29 of 37
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@delaney1 wrote:

I'm reading on blogs that the 5% warehouse category will be in effect for the remainder of 2016, and there should be an announcement on Chase's website soon. 

Now THAT would be awesome!

As mentioned previously, my research shows as well.  BUT, I qualify that as a rumor.  Does not hurt to have another visa on standby just in case (in case like me, where this gives initiative to renew lapsed membership).

Signature needs updating
Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.