cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Recon Denied... After being approved.

tag
Salmon

Chase Recon Denied... After being approved.

A couple of weeks ago I applied for a United Visa Platinum. Last time I had a credit card was over 10 years ago when I was in my late teens and had no real income. That didn't went well, I ended up settling and closing those accounts and steering clear from credit altogether. Now that I understand my finances a little better I tought I should get a credit card.

A few days after I applied I received a call from a Chase CSR who double checked some of my info and said I was approved with a $2500 CL! I was so happy! He said he'd send my paperwork in the mail. When I got mail from them it was actually a rejection letter citing too few revolving accounts, too low of an available credit on credit card accounts and a delinquency (90 and 60days late for a student loan 4 years ago... stupid me.)

I called a backdoor number that I found on this forum and I layed my case to the gentleman on the phone. I had no credit cards, which is why I was applying for theirs. I explained that my delinquency was a mistake in my youth that arose from not understanding finances too well. I made the point that I had been paying them on time for over 4 years now.

He still denied my application.

My Fico score is 710 right now. According to the website it's about average. Because of this I have avoided getting a secured card. Now I am wondering if maybe that is my only option. I just want to build my credit up for when the time comes to buy a house.

Any toughts?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
tylaw13
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase Recon Denied... After being approved.

@Salmon wrote:

A couple of weeks ago I applied for a United Visa Platinum. Last time I had a credit card was over 10 years ago when I was in my late teens and had no real income. That didn't went well, I ended up settling and closing those accounts and steering clear from credit altogether. Now that I understand my finances a little better I tought I should get a credit card.

A few days after I applied I received a call from a Chase CSR who double checked some of my info and said I was approved with a $2500 CL! I was so happy! He said he'd send my paperwork in the mail. When I got mail from them it was actually a rejection letter citing too few revolving accounts, too low of an available credit on credit card accounts and a delinquency (90 and 60days late for a student loan 4 years ago... stupid me.)

I called a backdoor number that I found on this forum and I layed my case to the gentleman on the phone. I had no credit cards, which is why I was applying for theirs. I explained that my delinquency was a mistake in my youth that arose from not understanding finances too well. I made the point that I had been paying them on time for over 4 years now.

He still denied my application.

My Fico score is 710 right now. According to the website it's about average. Because of this I have avoided getting a secured card. Now I am wondering if maybe that is my only option. I just want to build my credit up for when the time comes to buy a house.

Any toughts?

So after they approved you and gave you a CL they denied you?? did you ask them why they arent honoring there first decision? when i called the Exec backdoor number i spoke with a very nice lady and have her contact info if you'd like it. its worth a try.

EQ FICO - 725 (9/11/13) TU FICO - 724 (6/27/13) EX FICO (6/30/13) 755 AMEX
Im my wallet - Cap1 Platinum MC(2000) Chase Freedom(1500) AMEX BCE (7000) Discover IT (8000) CSP (15000) Cal Coast CU (8000)
Message 2 of 21
Salmon

That's right. I didn't ask them why. I should have. I asked which was the correct decision and he said the rejection was. I'll call the very nice lady. I guess it is important to know why they took it back and how that came to happen. Any other toughts?

Message 3 of 21
tylaw13
Regular Contributor

@Salmon wrote:

That's right. I didn't ask them why. I should have. I asked which was the correct decision and he said the rejection was. I'll call the very nice lady. I guess it is important to know why they took it back and how that came to happen. Any other toughts?

i messaged you the contact info. let us know how it goes!

Im my wallet - Cap1 Platinum MC(2000) Chase Freedom(1500) AMEX BCE (7000) Discover IT (8000) CSP (15000) Cal Coast CU (8000)
Message 4 of 21
tylaw13
Regular Contributor

Also if you know whats on your credit report that might help so you can defend it.

Message 5 of 21
omskillet
Regular Contributor

@Salmon wrote:

If you were denied "instantly" before being approved on recon lots of times you will automatically be sent a denial letter stating the reasons you were denied instantly.

Edit: misread op and had some previous comments that made no sense. apologies.

Message 6 of 21
Salmon

Thanks! Got it. I doubt they are working today, since it's indepenence day. I will call tomorrow.

Message 7 of 21
tylaw13
Regular Contributor

@Salmon wrote:

Thanks! Got it. I doubt they are working today, since it's indepenence day. I will call tomorrow.

Let us know how it goes!

Message 8 of 21
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

Yes I'm interest to see how it turns out..

Good Luck!

~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 9 of 21
Salmon

Alright friends, a small update: I called the representative that Tylaw13 recommended. I explained my situation and told her I never was told why Chase decided not to honor the original decision. She was a little confused over why I was calling HER, and was actually on her way out of the office, so she wrote up my information and said she would fordward it to a supervisor and have a CSR call me today or tomorrow. I hope I can take the call. I am usually too busy while working to take personal calls.

I will update again when someone gets back to me. Honestly, I am not terribly invested in this card but I do want to know why they changed their mind because I am still in the market for a card and if there is something fishy going on with my applications I want to know what it is.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.