cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase: Request CLI or Apply new and fold-in?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase: Request CLI or Apply new and fold-in?

@newhis wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I do prequal at Amex for BCE, it just doesn't earn me a ton for my spending. Honestly, for the amount I spend, an extra 1% here or there isn't enough to entice me.

It all depends on your strategy to build credit. 

- Do you want only a few cards?

- Do you want a ton of cards?

- Do you want good limits with SP?

- Don't mind HP CLIs?

- Are you getting a mortgage soon?

Amex also has extra cash back offers, some very good.

I don't need or want a ton of cards until I'm out of school. SP CLI's are good for me but I'm not going to need a mortgage for many years so I don't mind suffering HP's now. What very good offers do they have over the advertised 1-2-3%?

Message 21 of 23
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Down the road I'm going to want a CLI from Chase on my FU. I'm also considering the Amazon VS, so the answer to this would be a significant factor in that as well.

Which is best? Both in success with Chase and credit reporting.

1. Call and request a CLI
  2. Go in-branch and request a CLI
  3. Open a new card and fold-in the CLI to my old one and close out the new one

Thanks all!

I forget, are your cl's low because of your account age / your age?  you do not want to take a hp on that fu.  questions:  do you travel or do you plan to and when you look at the freedom 5% card are the quarterly categories of interest to you, can you make use of them?  I think you do need some depth to your file, you just need to go about it in the right way so had over the details of your profile

Yup. No baddies ever, just 3 HP's on each CR and a crummy AAoA. I keep looking at the Freedom as well, but having Amazon 5% year-round is worth more to me right now. I'm open to other suggestions as well; I wish Cap1 had a card the interested me but their best is essentially the same as the FU.

you have a branch nearby?  do you care about travel/points or are you a cash back sort of person?  my aaoa is probably 18 days old at this point, does not stop me lol

Yup that's how I got my 30K offer on my FU. I like cash back but an extra 1-2% on my spending isn't really a factor to me. Thus the Amazon card being attractive.

you need some depth to your profile imo.  I am not into blind apps, if the branch does not show anything then I stand down.  I will never take a hp for a cli when i can get a new card instead.  this is just me.  you need something you can grow so it will move you forward, what does the cap1 pre-qual show for you, just curious -- also, you should go to several branches to see if the result is any different.  totally serious.  seems like there are plateaus to cl's, there is the $ 300-$5K window, then the pre and slightly post $10K - then it jumps to the 20s and then 30s...seen this play out a lot here,  once you have a card that is 10-20K I think a lot will open up for you or at least this is my belief

I've been weary of the Cap1 prequal page since it requires full SSN and doesn't say all over "won't affect your credit score". They also don't have any cards that look great to me. I think I'd sooner take an Amex.

you are weary for no reason.  cap1 is a 3x hp for new cards and a sp from there on out.  I few your profile as rebuilding and aside from nfcu that takes 2 hps no card is better for a rebuild than something from cap1.  there is also no pre-qual more solid than the one on their site imo.  getting the profile one wants sometimes takes several steps.  I said in another post that I had to get with cap1 and nfcu to get with the lender I really wanted.  if you got a cap1 and used used it to death and pif it would help your scores go up.  same with nfcu but again a double tap and no pre-qual

Message 22 of 23
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't need or want a ton of cards until I'm out of school. SP CLI's are good for me but I'm not going to need a mortgage for many years so I don't mind suffering HP's now. What very good offers do they have over the advertised 1-2-3%?

A few that I remember:

- $25 back when you use your Amex card for $25 or more with HULU

- $45 back when you get your Sam's membership

- $5 back on Sling, must pay $20 or more

- $20 back at Staples if you buy $100

- $15 back at Amazon (for $15?)

- $5 back for $30 at gas station

You have to see what they offer (when you login), select the offer, and follow the instructions.

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.