Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Reserve will not have $100 Airline discount

tag
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Reserve will not have $100 Airline discount

The problem with card like Ritz is that it isn't mean for collecting points. CS(R) will give you 3x for travel & dining and if you travel that much your UR points will add up fast.

Of course I am not complaining about anything, I'm just talking about another perspective. If I could afford AF I would apply for both but for me it is going to be Ritz or CS(R). Only time will tell what I apply for.
Message 31 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. But I'm basically saying that if the $100 air benefit is on the Ritz-Carlton. So if that's a make or break why don't they look into it. As I said I have the Citi card for points, but if the CSR is better then I'll drop my citi prestige for the CSR.
I find my Ritz to be worth it due to upgrades I've gotton. Last year I was upgraded to the Ritz-Carlton suit ie the "presidential suite" for new years eve I have platinum status and will buy it back for next year also. So for me this is a MUST for my wallet.
The CSR will be a great addition for my day to day spending and my family airfareset.
To each there own and I can't wait for Sunday to get here.
Message 32 of 40
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@darwin_wins wrote:
So technically you would have to use that $100 at least thrice a year to be even-steven (of course there a lot of people who travel more than 3 times a year and for them this is a complete loss) but for me, I travel alone most of the times so I would never be able to use that $100 perk that comes with Ritz.

On the other hand I could use CS(R) and get the $300 back even when I am traveling alone.

So it really depends on who is going to use the card how.

This for me as well.  And, it is really 600 back the first year. Smiley Wink

Signature needs updating
Message 33 of 40
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@darwin_wins wrote:
So technically you would have to use that $100 at least thrice a year to be even-steven (of course there a lot of people who travel more than 3 times a year and for them this is a complete loss) but for me, I travel alone most of the times so I would never be able to use that $100 perk that comes with Ritz.

On the other hand I could use CS(R) and get the $300 back even when I am traveling alone.

$600 the first year only if you don't plan to keep it (well, if you do it is still $600 the first year but then $0 the last year you have the card!)

Message 34 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@darwin_wins wrote:

$600 the first year only if you don't plan to keep it (well, if you do it is still $600 the first year but then $0 the last year you have the card!)

Huh? Let's say you get the card next week and immediately use the $300 credit. Since the leaked terms supposedly say it's based on calendar year you can get another $300 credit on January 1st (= $600 for the first year). You wouldn't be able to get one immediately after renewal but you could get one that next January 1st, meaning you'd still have gotten $900 in total credits by month 23.

Message 35 of 40
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@darwin_wins wrote:

Huh? Let's say you get the card next week and immediately use the $300 credit. Since the leaked terms supposedly say it's based on calendar year you can get another $300 credit on January 1st (= $600 for the first year). You wouldn't be able to get one immediately after renewal but you could get one that next January 1st, meaning you'd still have gotten $900 in total credits by month 23.

OK I just meant the extra $300 uses up a calander year slot, so in your example, if you cancelled the card after Aug 2017 and before Jan 2018 (which I agree is unlikely, but still!) your last "membership year" wouldnt have the $300, as you already used that in Jan.   And obviously if you get the card Jan 1st, you only get $300 per year, the other cases are a linear translation of that

Message 36 of 40
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

Citation?

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/chase-announces-the-sapphire-reserve-card/

The reason they don't have the $100 discount though is because of the $300 yearly travel credit, I imagine. I'll take the $300 over the $100 Smiley Wink

Ummm, the $300 credit is a refund of what you already paid, how is that a perk.......

It's your money they are giving back to you to lessen the AF.

This was to compete w/ Amex Plat, I don't see how.

I have to disagree.  The $300 credit is definitely a benefit/perk of the card, the same as it is for the Platinum and Citi Prestige. You can't compare the Reserve benefit vs benefit to the Platinum.  While they are/will be high end travel cards they are different with the Platinum focusing more on benefits vs points earning.  I think the Reserve is more intended as a competitor to the Prestige and it's hard to dismiss 3X points earning for travel and dining.  If you are paying for flights, hotel rooms and dining it doesnt take much to make up for that $100 air travel credit.  Personally I much prefer the 3X points earning instead of a $100 air credit for domestic coach fares.  That does nothing for me.

I was referring to those who were so excited about an Infinite badged card.

We can disagree on Travel Credits, as I don't think getting back my own money as a perk.

It is when you otherwise wouldn't be getting it back if you say used a Chase Freedom.... ( Fill in most cards into that)

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 37 of 40
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

Sure its your own money. But, the fact of the matter is they don't HAVE to give it back to you. The very fact that you do get it back is indeed a perk.

+1

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 38 of 40
newhis
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

OK I just meant the extra $300 uses up a calander year slot, so in your example, if you cancelled the card after Aug 2017 and before Jan 2018 (which I agree is unlikely, but still!) your last "membership year" wouldnt have the $300, as you already used that in Jan.   And obviously if you get the card Jan 1st, you only get $300 per year, the other cases are a linear translation of that

I'll put a note to remember that if I decide to cancel the card, use the $300 from Jan-Jul and cancel the card before the AF hit.

Message 39 of 40
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

I guess to some the $300 credit is not a perk because while you are getting your money back, you are only getting it back in the form of a statement credit towards transactions deemed as "travel" expenses and not cash in hand? Hey, if they wanna cover me for $300 in travel charges, im in. I guess the fact you have to pay the $450 up front instead of just $150 is a turn off. Thats ok by me. I will take that anyday. Those are expenses one would have regardless of whether they offered the credit or not. Any help with reducing my annual fee by covering those costs is more than welcome.

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.