Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Rewards vs Freedom or Perfect Card

tag
krielly
Established Contributor

Chase Rewards vs Freedom or Perfect Card

I posted this question in another thread, but realized I will probably get better response putting it in its own thread. Can anyone here answer this question please :smileyhappy:

I had a WAMU Petsmart card, which was just converted to a Chase Rewards card. They just mailed me the card this weekend.

I looked on there website, and don't see a similar card. For those talking about a product change, you are all talking about the Freedom card and the Perfect Card. Has anyone had the plain old Rewards card that I have and switched?????

Thanks in advance....

K

Thanks

K

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Rewards vs Freedom or Perfect Card

Depends on what your ideal type of rewards are:  cashback, miles/travel, points, etc.

It also depends how you generally use your card.....gas, grocery, online shopping, travel.  Some cards provide extra incentives or bonus rewards for certain shopping.

Lastly is the question of reward caps/limits and annual fees.  The Freedom Plus has an annual fee of $30 (but is usually waived first year), but it also has no limits on max rewards and gives more bonus rewards at more places.  The no max is important if you use your card alot and want to accumulate more rewards.   The Freedom also lets you switch between cashback, points and miles (converting them).

I believe the Perfectcard has a higher gas purchase cashback, but the initial high cashback is an intro bonus that reduces.

Message Edited by txjohn on 04-08-2009 06:49 AM
Message 2 of 8
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

I would go with the PerfectCard since it gives 3% on gas. I believe the Freedom gives 1% on all purchases including gas.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

PerfectCard:  No AF, 3% on gas - 1% on everything else

Freedom:  No AF, 3% on gas, grocery, fastfood intro for 6 months, 1% thereafter, 1% all esle

Freedom Plus:  $30 AF waived 1st year, 3% on top 6 used of 15 categories including gas, grocery, fastfood, etc., no limits/max, 1% all else.

I have the Freedom Plus because even though it has an annual fee, the number of categories in which I get triple rewards is enough to pay multiple times over.  Plus, I get bonus rewards because I shop at many of the online retailers that Chase Freedom provides extra reward for.

Freeedom Plus:  You earn 3 miles per $1 automatically on purchases in the 6 everyday categories where you spend the most each month. There are 15 categories in all! Your spending habits may change from month to month — the triple miles you earn for them will stay the same. You also earn 1 mile per $1 on all other purchases. Here are the categories:

• Gas Stations & Convenience Stores
  • Grocery Stores
  • Quick Service & Fast Food Restaurants
  • Utilities (Gas, Electric, etc.)
  • Drugstores
  • Cable/Satellite TV & Internet Providers
  • Department Stores
  • Pet Stores & Veterinarian
  • Phone/Cell Phone Bills
  • Movie Theatres
  • Gym Memberships
  • Beauty Salons & Spas
  • Movie Rentals
  • Dry Cleaners
  • Local Commuting

You have a choice when it comes to rewarding yourself. You can redeem your miles for:

• Travel on any airline with no restrictions
  • Hotel stays, car rentals and vacation packages
  • Transfer your points to a number of frequent flyer programs
  • Name–brand merchandise

Message 4 of 8
monicar2009
New Contributor

Can you change from miles to cash rewards instead?
Message 5 of 8
hemi961
Regular Contributor

I have the Chase Freedom Plus card as well.  Once you get the card you can log in and change the rewards from miles to cash to points (and presumably back again) through a drop down box on the web site.  However, I switched from miles to cash and then had to email them in order to change back.  It wasn't a problem but for some reason the miles option was no longer available in the drop down box where you make your choices.

If you log in and look in the upper left corner of the site you will find an option to send an email.  Email them and tell them you are interested in a product change and they will send a list of card types you would be able to switch to and keep your account history.  Some have reported trouble changing from some types to the Freedom Plus without a whole new application while others haven't had any problem.  Send an email and they will respond within 24 hours or less.  The Freedom Plus is an excellent card. 

Message 6 of 8
monicar2009
New Contributor

What does it take to get to get accepted for a freedom card? I have a short history(6 months) Smiley Sad.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@monicar2009 wrote:
What does it take to get to get accepted for a freedom card? I have a short history(6 months) Smiley Sad.

Opening a checking account with them. I have had about 5 years of flawless credit history and 750+ FICO at the time I applied for Chase cards. First I applied for Buy.com and got denied in a few days with a letter of insufficient credit history and income. Then, I tried Chase Freedom which I wanted for some time already, also got deined with the same reason. In that same month, I figured that Chase might not doing this for me because I'm not their customer, so I opened up a checking and savings with them using their $100 offer and of course put some significant amount of money in there. I got approved right away from the banker desk for $5500 Chase Freedom Visa Signature. So I would say open up a checking account with them might help if you've not already done so.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.