Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase SW Rapid Rewards vs Sapphire Preferred

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase SW Rapid Rewards vs Sapphire Preferred

Any advice on which is better or harder to get? I'm trying to sort through all the options for rewards travel.

The 50K signing bonus for SW is amazing and the annual 3K renewal bonus brings the net AF down to just $19. I have an inkling though that Sapphire Preferred is the better card, especially when combined with Freedom. I fly SW the majority of the time so either way would be depositing all the points into Rapid Rewards.

Thank you for your help!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase SW Rapid Rewards vs Sapphire Preferred

I'd say the CSP is harder to acquire.

I just got a Chase SW Visa yesterday. Online app and approval were a breeze.

Message 2 of 4
bribro
Valued Contributor

CSP is definitely harder to obtain and I would argue it's a "better" card because of the flexibility it offers.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 3 of 4
Open123
Super Contributor

Likewise, I think the CSP is a little tougher to get, though not by much.

I'd go for the CSP, if the checking and Freedom combo is something you'd utilize.  For instance, if you maximize the Freedom's 10pts/purchase maximizing it every month, the fee on your CSP is paid for by the extra bonus points.  

If it were me, I'd be aggressive and try for the SW anyway.  If you get declined, I'd call for a recon and explain why you'd like SW card and how it compliments your other Chase cards.  In my view, 50K with SW is worth the inquiry and risk.

PS - I don't mean apping in the same day, but about 20 days or so apart.  YMMV, but most around me all have all gotten a couple of Chase approvals within the same month.  With some, both approvals were instant, but others were required to call in for a recon, which were all ultimately successful, save for one.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.