Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Saphire Reserve vs Chase Saphire preferred vs Chase Ink Account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Saphire Reserve vs Chase Saphire preferred vs Chase Ink Account

I have a couple of trips coming up, as well as a couple of big purchases that I want to leverage a spend on. I have some cards falling off in regards to 5/24 from chase..so as of today..I have gotten 2 cards in the past 2 years. My question is what card should I start out with on Chase?

I have already Chase Freedom, Marriot, IHG, Amazon,Hyatt 

With the Chase Ink there is a 80k bounus versus the CSP and CSR 50k bounus..

I am thinking at least 2 chase cards for 2018..cause I only have enough of a spend for 2 ..so I would get 1 card now..and then probably mid year get the next card ..in theory

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Saphire Reserve vs Chase Saphire preferred vs Chase Ink Account

CSP wins over CSR in year 1 cuz the annual fee is waived and you get a bonus with a (free) authorized user, you can always upgrade to CSR in year 2+. But some will want the extra perks of the CSR and don't intend to get the Citi Prestige or Amex Platinum as well (on that note, the Ameriprise Amex Platinum has no sign up bonus and waives the annual fee in year 1! Great opportunity to try the card and go with CSP in year 1. You can decide if you want to keep or cancel the Platinum in year 2 and upgrade CSP to CSR or not).

The Ink Preferred is a great card too, I'd suggest getting it and the CSP. If you apply for the Ink Preferred in branch with a Business Relationship Manager, you supposedly can get the 100k bonus offer that way.

Personally, I got the CSP and will likely keep it at that, and 2 months before that I got the Ink Preferred, but will downgrade it to the Ink Cash in year 2+ for no annual fees and better cash back rates.
Message 2 of 13
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

The CSP is the better deal only in the first year when its annual fee is waived.  In the second and subsequent years, the CSP and CSR each recoup their annual fees after about $3400 of travel and dining spending (taking into account the $300 travel credit on the CSR).  Once you spend more than $3400, the CSR is the clear winner.  The CSR also has other perks that I didn't factor into the comparison.  (I don't own a business, so I'm not eligible for the Ink cards and am not familiar with their rewards structure.)

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 3 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the necessary gap between Chase Sapphire sign up bonus is measured in years, not months. Meaning, one could not expect to get two Sapphire bonuses in the same year. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct, you have to wait 2 years to get another sign up bonus for a product family (I don't remember how specific chase is - 2 years from last account opening, closing, or what). We're talking about getting CSP in year one then PCing to CSR in year 2 because the CSP has no fee in year 1 but PCing to the CSR is an option to consider if he wants to upgrade to it in year 2. We weren't contemplating about getting 2 sign up bonuses.
Message 5 of 13
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Just curios since I cant find an answer and didnt want to make a new thread

Does the CSR offer priority pass the second year ? Or is that just a first year perk ?

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Just curios since I cant find an answer and didnt want to make a new thread

Does the CSR offer priority pass the second year ? Or is that just a first year perk ?

You get to keep the PPS membership as long as your CSR account remains open. A new PPS card will be automatically sent to you when the old one expires, according to a post at FlyerTalk.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The SignUp Bonus (80k UR!) and low Annual Fee of the Chase Ink Preffered make it very attractive. I've had it for a year and I think it's a great card, with 3x UR on Travel the rewards along with the SignUp Bonus make it an amazing card.

I would say to get that along with CSP, as others have said them waiving the AF the first year outweighs CSR, then later you can Product Change it to the CSR.
Message 8 of 13
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
CSP wins over CSR in year 1 cuz the annual fee is waived and you get a bonus with a (free) authorized user, you can always upgrade to CSR in year 2+. But some will want the extra perks of the CSR and don't intend to get the Citi Prestige or Amex Platinum as well (on that note, the Ameriprise Amex Platinum has no sign up bonus and waives the annual fee in year 1! Great opportunity to try the card and go with CSP in year 1. You can decide if you want to keep or cancel the Platinum in year 2 and upgrade CSP to CSR or not).

The Ink Preferred is a great card too, I'd suggest getting it and the CSP. If you apply for the Ink Preferred in branch with a Business Relationship Manager, you supposedly can get the 100k bonus offer that way.

Personally, I got the CSP and will likely keep it at that, and 2 months before that I got the Ink Preferred, but will downgrade it to the Ink Cash in year 2+ for no annual fees and better cash back rates.

If one does anything resembling frequent (and/or expensive) traveling and dining out, the CSR is going to win out quickly even in the first year, AF waived on the CSP or not. For example, for the average person who spends even $10,000 on dining/travel in the first year and uses just the (horrible) redemption value of 1.5 cpm via the chase portal, the extra 10,000 UR earned with the CSR plus the $300 travel credit nullify the AF, making it $0 like the CSP. For someone who transfers URs to mileage partners, that threshold can go down even more quickly. The additional insurances on the CSR, though difficult to value for many, may also be a driving factor for the frequent traveler.

For someone who needs to use non dining/travel to meet even the sign-up bonus spend (appliance purchase, rent, etc) or does infrequent travel/dining spend on either card, the statement that the CSP wins certainly is true.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

What if this theoretical "modest" spender of $10k in travel/dining got the Ameriprise Platinum and put airline ticket purchases on that card for 5x MR points? Maybe not to you, but $10k in dining sounds like a lot to me! Not to mention: the Ink Preferred gets 3x on travel just like the CSR so if he gets the IP and the CSP...

I know this won't apply to most but personally I get 6% back on dining in q2 and q4 every year with the Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards card.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.