Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Saphire Rewards Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Saphire Rewards Question

Am I understanding right. If you redeem for travel it is basically a 4% card and cash it is a 2% cash back card? Or is it 2% and 1% respectively.

Sorry for my brain. I can't think right now
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Saphire Rewards Question

If you redeem for just cash back it is based on your earn rate. 3% for travel and dining, 1% for everything else.
If you redeem for travel those points are multiplied by 1.5%, so travel and dining are worth 4.5% and everything else is 2.5%.
Message 2 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Corvidae wrote:
If you redeem for just cash back it is based on your earn rate. 3% for travel and dining, 1% for everything else.
If you redeem for travel those points are multiplied by 1.5%, so travel and dining are worth 4.5% and everything else is 2.5%.

Which would be great, but 1 x 1.5 = 1.5.   So if you go through Chase for travel, it's 4.5% on dining/travel, 1.5% everything else.   By transferring points, you can potentially do much better.

Message 3 of 13
yfan
Valued Contributor

Actually, 1x1.5 is 1.5. ;-)
Message 4 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP, are you asking about the

Chase Sapphire Preferred, which gets 2 UR points travel and dining (3% effective) and 1 UR everywhere else (1.5% effective)

or

Chase Sapphire Reserve, which gets 3 UR points travel and dining (4.5% effective and 1 UR everywhere else (1.5% effective)

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

OP, are you asking about the

Chase Sapphire Preferred, which gets 2 UR points travel and dining (3% effective) and 1 UR everywhere else (1.5% effective)

or

Chase Sapphire Reserve, which gets 3 UR points travel and dining (4.5% effective and 1 UR everywhere else (1.5% effective)

Good catch, but if it is the CSP, that has the 1.25 enhancement, so it is 2.5% on travel/dining, 1.25% elsewhere (unless you also have the CSR)

Message 6 of 13
techiegirl
Regular Contributor

I have the Freedom, the Freedom Unlimited and the CSP (now converted to the CS) and I was just approved for the CSR.  If I transfer all my points from the other cards to my CSR, is it still 50% extra redemption?  

FICO: EQ - 809 TU- 808 EX - 797
Message 7 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@techiegirl wrote:

I have the Freedom, the Freedom Unlimited and the CSP (now converted to the CS) and I was just approved for the CSR.  If I transfer all my points from the other cards to my CSR, is it still 50% extra redemption?  

Yes, all that matters is where the points end up, not where they came from, so once they are in your CSR bucket, they get 50% extra

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is why it is confusing to me. Thx for all the replies. Shouldn't cards be easy to figure out your rewards? Trying to decide if it is such a great card as everyone seems to think it is, and if I want to have it on my list when I get below the 5/24.
Message 9 of 13
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
This is why it is confusing to me. Thx for all the replies. Shouldn't cards be easy to figure out your rewards? Trying to decide if it is such a great card as everyone seems to think it is, and if I want to have it on my list when I get below the 5/24.

There's no benefit to the bank to make the rewards simple to figure out. The less you redeem them for, the less it costs them. Personally, I haven't gotten into reward points for traveling yet, but I am about to. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.