Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire 5k point bonus when adding a authorized user question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Sapphire 5k point bonus when adding a authorized user question

I was approved for a sapphire card last night as i start my new job that requires alot of travel next week.

I want to get all of the offered points i can. The 40k points when spending $4k in the first 3 months will take some time but for now im focused on the 5k points by adding a authorized user and using the card for the first time within the first 3 months.

I have a question on regards of that;

Im single, dont need/want my gf to have a credit card linked to me so that leaves only my mom as a possible authorized user. I plan to either give my mom that card in case of emergencys or just shred it totally when i get it and leave it unused, cause all i really want is the 5k. What would you guys do? 

Also it says "Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.*"...does that mean I have to make atleast 1 purchase with that authorized user card or can i just use the original card that will be issued to me? Sorry if thats a dumb question but i wasnt too sure.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Sapphire 5k point bonus when adding a authorized user question

Chase is funky with authorized users. All they do is print a second card with a different name but the EXACT SAME info as your card, down to the same security code on the back. You can put your mom down if you want and not even give her the card. 

You don't even have to use the 2nd card to make the purchase, all you need to do is have an authorized user on the account and you're good to go. I did that on both my CSP and Freedom.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I put down my childhood nickname. Others have put down their pet's name.

I personally used the AU card just to be safe and trigger the 'purchase', but I've also heard that just any purchase. Part of this may be because Chase doesn't actually show you online which AU made which purchase; it's all per card number.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't actually need to hand your AU card over to anybody if you name them. I just used the AU card myself for a single purchase to trigger the reward. Most cashiers aren't paying that much attention. You can choose a place where they know you well and won't bug you about anything. I use my salon when I'm doing weird things.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never used my AU cards once and still got the bonus.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Buy a candy bar and then cut the card up. I asked how much needed to be spent and Chase said $1. 

Put your rent on it. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.