Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire - Ask for limit increase

tag
warrantsuspect
Established Member

Chase Sapphire - Ask for limit increase

Hi guys, 

Just recently got approved for a Chase Sapphire card with 5k CL. I was wondering if you have any tips on how CLI work for this card. Will it be automatic, do I have to call them later? 

What would be the ideal amount to spend on it monthly? I don't plan to carrry any balance.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire - Ask for limit increase

@warrantsuspect wrote:

Hi guys, 

Just recently got approved for a Chase Sapphire card with 5k CL. I was wondering if you have any tips on how CLI work for this card. Will it be automatic, do I have to call them later? 

What would be the ideal amount to spend on it monthly? I don't plan to carrry any balance.

Thanks!

Unfortunately they don't do much by auto-CLI...most people who receive them typically have the lower limit lines and get $500-$2000 boosts due to their constant PIFing during the month.

You can call them around 6 months, 12 months more ideal, and it will be a hard pull. As long as your files are good and you ask for a decent amount in CLI, you're good to go!

Good luck!

Message 2 of 8
nfs_mw
New Contributor

Call them after 6-12 months...tell them not to do a hard pull...Chase soft pulls new accounts regularly..so ask them if they can CLI based on data from their last SP...
Message 3 of 8
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

After 6 months with PIF every month go ahead and ask for a cli, you should have a good chance. I did this, initial limit was 5k just as yours is. After 6 months they approved me for a cli to 10k with a HP Smiley Sad but I'd say it was worth it! Good luck!

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 4 of 8
enharu
Super Contributor

@warrantsuspect wrote:

Hi guys, 

Thanks!

If you have a 5K Chase Sapphire, chances are you will not get any auto CLI. Chase seems to give auto CLIs to mostly people with toy cards (500-1500 limits).

So basically any Chase CLI is a HP and you can try calling in 3-12months, depending on your usage and profile.

The ideal amount to spend as much as you can afford to pay each month. The more you use and the more you pay, the more they love you and see that there's an actual reason to warrant a CLI increase. For example, if you're using just 100 a month on 5000 CL card, the recon analyst might feel less compelled to give you a big increase or even any increase in CL.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 8
padredelosninos

I just got it today, and they approved me for a 5k limit. If you dont mind taking the second hit and then reconning the credit card, you could potentially get what you want. I got mine upped to 7k after the initial increase, and then an extra 3k when I reconned the card. Just an FYI not sure what your credit looks like.

Message 6 of 8
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Heavy usage seems to be something that Chase wants to see with auto-CLIs, even though they are rare. I got auto CLIed after 3 months from 18k to 25k, but I also ran through 30k of charges in those 3 months.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 7 of 8
hammertime
New Contributor

Auto. CLI's do happen with Chase. My DW got an auto CLI from 5k to 16k at 6 months on CSP. EQ FICO around 750 AAOA about 5 years.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.