cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Card - For excellent credit?

tag
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Card - For excellent credit?

Contrary to what people might tell you, the CSP isn't that difficult to get. As long as you have a decent income and haven't done something major that screwed up your credit file (BK, COs, recent 60-90 day lates), it's possible to get approved.

Yes you need good credit, but I wouldn't say excellent credit is required. When I hear excellent credit, I think of 750+. Good begins at 700, mediocre is 650, and lousy is anything less than that.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 21 of 24
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

I've asked this question just to get an idea of what Chase might require the credit of person to be in order to be approved for this card. Chase currently does not want to increase my limit beyond $3,000 divided between two cards (Freedom, Amazon.com ) so I doubt they'd approve me now .. maybe six months to a year I'll try and I'll then know! Thanks for the feedback. 

@CreditScholar wrote:

Contrary to what people might tell you, the CSP isn't that difficult to get. As long as you have a decent income and haven't done something major that screwed up your credit file (BK, COs, recent 60-90 day lates), it's possible to get approved.

Yes you need good credit, but I wouldn't say excellent credit is required. When I hear excellent credit, I think of 750+. Good begins at 700, mediocre is 650, and lousy is anything less than that.

Current Cards:
Message 22 of 24
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@altayar wrote:

I've asked this question just to get an idea of what Chase might require the credit of person to be in order to be approved for this card. Chase currently does not want to increase my limit beyond $3,000 divided between two cards (Freedom, Amazon.com ) so I doubt they'd approve me now .. maybe six months to a year I'll try and I'll then know! Thanks for the feedback. 

@CreditScholar wrote:

For some reason, Chase seems to be more generous with the CLs of new cards than CLIs on existing cards.

When I applied for my CSP I received an instant approval, but my CL was only $12,700. 6 months later I applied for the CO Presidential Plus (which is now my United Club card), and they gave me 18k. 3 months later I received an auto-CLI to 25k.

If you use your Freedom regularly, heavily and always PIF, the odds are you'll get a much higher CL when you apply for your next card. If you do this, have a 700+ FICO with no recent or major baddies, plus an income of 50-60k+, you should stand a good chance.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 23 of 24
xboxrunner
Regular Contributor

USAA give good starting CLs if your fico is good.

Transunion - 820 (9/8/21)
Equifax Fico 8 - 832 (9/8/21)
Vantagescore - 821 (3/20/21)
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.