Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire - Credit Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Sapphire - Credit Score

Hi everyone,

I feel like this has been asked a million times in various forms, but I still don't know the definitive answer, so I hoped you all could help with up-to-date info: what exactly happens with a Chase Sapphire card with respect to credit scores and the credit utilzation ratio?

Do they report high balance? The credit limit? 0? An open account like AmEx?

Does it matter if it's Visa or Mastercard?

(For what it's worth, I talked to a senior advisor at Chase, and he said that he thinks they just send a 100% utilization ratio every month, no matter what. That seems ridiculous, but he seemed to know what he was talking about. He said that a lot of people have called to complain when they're getting mortgages.)

Thanks a lot! 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire - Credit Score

I have had the Chase Sapphire since it was first issued a couple of years ago.  They converted my Chase Freedom without asking . . . but that's another story.

The Sapphire card does NOT report a credit limit.  It is considered a "signature card" and supposedly, you can exceed your limit without any penalties.

They DO report the high balance but it is reported as "High Balance".  The credit limit line is blank.  This is true for me on each of the three major CRA's.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 16
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Mine report and I don't know why.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@itsmeagain: So the CRAs use the high balance for the credit utilization rate? Have you run up a large bill one month just to get a good utilization rate?

@txtexans72: They report your credit limit?

Has anyone had success in calling Chase to get them to report your credit limit instead of high balance?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have a chase sapphire but I do have a visa signature and world mastercard and both report my limits and say flexible revolving credit account. I think it all depends on whether you get a good CSR by luck of the draw.
Message 5 of 16
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Itsmeagain: So the CRAs use the high balance for the credit utilization rate? Have you run up a large bill one month just to get a good utilization rate?

@txtexans72: They report your credit limit?

Has anyone had success in calling Chase to get them to report your credit limit instead of high balance?

Thanks!

I don't know why but they did report to all 3 CBs.

I have 3 CCs with Chase.

Slate, Freedom, Sapphire Preferred. They gave me a $10K CL for the Sapphire Preferred to match my Freedom card.

Message 6 of 16
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

My CR updated and the Sapphire card no longer report the CL to the 3 CBs.

Message 7 of 16
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Pardon the potential hijack but do you all have the Visa logo on back or front? I'm curious how to get one on back.

Message 8 of 16
runrunrun89
Established Member

My logo is on the back...Only thing on the front is my name...Maybe it's just something they're doing with the newer cards? 

Message 9 of 16
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Is it Visa? Sig? MC? World? Which type and thanks. And the numbers arent embossed? The card my friend has is this:

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.