Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire - Denied

tag
saggy1
Established Member

Chase Sapphire - Denied

I got denied for the sapphire preferred. Got the the letter in the mail today. Also got my new amex gold in the mail today lol. I applied and got approved for the Discover IT card yesterday, so I am doing ok I guess.

They denied me for having:

Too few credit cards open

Credit limit too low on that card ($1000)

One delinquent account

The DQ was probably my bofa visa. In 08 I lost my job had my card pretty much maxed and missed a few payments. Well I still have the card and have everything paid off. Matter of fact I just got a cli to $3000. So bofa obviously thinks ok of me now. So the CL being too low should not be a problem anymore? I also have the Discover and two amex charge cards now.

Do you think I have a chance for a recon? I want this card for my primary visa as my current one has no benefits.

THX

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire - Denied

to be able to get the card you have to qualify for a 5,000 minimum cl. since its a visa signature. 3000 is still 2,000 lower than their minimum..

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 2 of 11
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

@iMacDrew wrote:

to be able to get the card you have to qualify for a 5,000 minimum cl. since its a visa signature. 3000 is still 2,000 lower than their minimum..

I was wondering about applying for the CSP as well (next year that is). Whats the income needed to get a $5000 limit? Mine are all pretty much $1000-$2000. 

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 3 of 11
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Hey Saggy1!  Chase pretty much requires experience with CL of 5K before they'll offer their Sig products.  Garden and try building current limits to 5K or get with a CU that will put you over the threshold over the next year.  Good luck!

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 4 of 11
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@cmthomas06 wrote:

@iMacDrew wrote:

I was wondering about applying for the CSP as well (next year that is). Whats the income needed to get a $5000 limit? Mine are all pretty much $1000-$2000. 

Income is not too big of a problem. Chase would love to see you have some experience with $5K CL before issuing CSP.

Message 5 of 11
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@cmthomas06 wrote:

@iMacDrew wrote:

Income is not too big of a problem. Chase would love to see you have some experience with $5K CL before issuing CSP.

+1.  Chase doesn't want to be the first to grant you 5k limit.  However if you have a few cards close to 5k limit, they might be first to cross that threshold.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 6 of 11
praise123
Contributor

Not necessarily true. I had a BofA secured card in March for $500, then I got a credit one unsecured in June for 1,000. Then I got an offer in the mail for the Chase Marriott Visa and was approved for $5,000. I had baddies in the past not on credit cards but student loan and 30 day late on car. I was curious about why Chase gave me $5,000 so I called and was told because of my combined income of $160,000 me and my husband salary together even though he didn't apply
Message 7 of 11
jm00ser
Regular Contributor

I agree with the above posters regarding Chase not wanting to be the first creditor to grant you a large CL. I started at 3800 with Freedom a year or so back, and was satisfied being that my income is about 43k and I had a rash of INQ thanks to a rash and uneducated car buying experience... Smiley Very Happy

Needless to say, in this 1 year period, I managed to CLI my Citi up to 7.7k, get my scores up, and was approved for 10.7k by Chase for SW RR Premier. I know its not the CSP, but I would suppose that CL worthiness works the same. Same income at time of app as well.

In full gardening/ debt annihilation mode! (4/15/13)
Notre Dame FCU Visa 0/2k (8/04); CapOne Best Buy 800/1.5k (7\06)
Citi Thank You World MC 4800/9.7k (1/11); Amex Zync NPSL (9/11)
Chase Freedom Visa 1600/3.8k (9/11); Chase Southwest RR Premier Visa Signature 4300/10.7k (6/12); Discover It 0/3k (7/12)
EQ: 751 (4/1/13) EX: 742 (4/8/13) TU: 732 (4/8/13)
Message 8 of 11
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@cmthomas06 wrote:

@iMacDrew wrote:

+1 

I agree that I need to prove myself with large limits first. I was just wondering because I am currently a college student making ~16,000 a year. I dont expect to get that high; however, when I graduate it should be feasible. 

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I don't have a good credit score. My biggest CL is with Macy's $1000. Cap One at $750.

I have been denied for the Paypal MC and another Cap 1 application recently.

Still today I got approved for the regular Chase Sapphire with $5k limit. I am so happy!

Last week I got an Amex gold charge card. I realize that is easier to get. I was FR'd

during the Amex application process. I complied. I have a spending limit of $6k.

Just thought I'd share. I am new here and really enjoy this forum. I am rebuilding credit.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.