Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Prefered - Declined

tag
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Prefered - Declined

Thank you all for all your support on this forum! It is really helpful to me. I have calmed down now and was able to fully understand what you all are saying.

Is there a max # of inquiries you can have at time of HP of mortgage App? I would have liked to apply for the freedom but I am fearful of another inquiry. I have 5 total now and 2 MAY fall off before applying for the mortgage. I had to do a HP for the mortgage in July to see where I stood and my highest beacon score was 754. When I app'd w/ Acura last month, my beacon was 724. So I was hoping my fico would inflate slightly with the beacon pull for the CSP. Weirdly, the rep said my score was fine and that it was the BK and inexperience with a $5000 limit that got me declined. I don't know what score they pulled, will call today and ask.

I need a different card to grow with because Cap1 rewards card is going to go NOWHERE. I will get an increase to $2500 in March and I believe that will be the last one because that is how they are. The other Cap1 card that was an Orchard stopped increases a year and a half ago which is why I applied for the green card.

I would put $5000 secured on a card but I am about to close on this mortgage. My landlady is giving me $3100 or so at closing plus my $1500 deposit back plus that month's rent that won't need to paid. We have lived here 3 1/2 years and I never paid her late. I have been on time the 1st of every month so she is very happy to help me close on her former house. But the $$$ has to come from my account because you can't get your down payment from relatives or friends as a gift and then I will get the money back from her after closing plus Christmas shopping etc. I never Christmas shop on credit. I get a nice bonus every March and I keep it in savings and build on it and use part of it for Christmas shopping. I won't touch my 401K for nothing!

I think I will call Chase back today and see if they can make a decision on the Freedom from the CSP HP and tell me if I app for the Freedom that I will get approved. Just worried about the inquiries.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 11 of 32
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Hi All. I decided to reapply for the Chase Freedom and it was declined for the same reasons. But I am working with a very understanding rep and he did the recon and recommended approval for the card. His recommendation has to go to another department for final review. He said he would know on Monday. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 12 of 32
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
Hi All. I decided to reapply for the Chase Freedom and it was declined for the same reasons. But I am working with a very understanding rep and he did the recon and recommended approval for the card. His recommendation has to go to another department for final review. He said he would know on Monday. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

Hey!  I think you will be approved.  Frankly- I'm surprised he couldn't answer you today.  Please keep us informed! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 13 of 32
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

On a side note!!!! Stop apping!!!!  I don't think you are doing your mortgage app any good!  If you get this card (you will btw) You are getting it probably at the expense of your mortgage terms/APR.  Just friendly advice!! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 14 of 32
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I sure hope so!! Even if it is only $500 I know it will grow as I prove my worthiness unlike Capital One. I would be overjoyed if I got in the door with Chase. He said it would be Monday because they don't have full staff in that department on weekends. He said it could be sooner but likely Monday. I will keep you all posted. Thinking positive. Smiley Happy
Message 15 of 32
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

@improvingmycredit - this was the last one. PROMISE! Smiley Happy I think two will fall off by February. Thank you all so much! You all have been a tremendous help! Smiley Happy
Message 16 of 32
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Hey Everyone! I have an update on my Chase Freedom application! They did the final review after it is was recommended for approval a couple of days ago. From their final review, they said they are "looking to approve" once I fax in a copy of my SS card and proof of address. So they officially declined UNTIL I provide that information. They said it will two weeks before I hear the decision. He said if I was declined declined, he would have told me today but he said they are looking to approve after I provide that info. He said it is not a guarantee but they are looking to approve.

Does this sound like a slam dunk or should I get prepared for a let down? I am assuming he couldn't guarantee it because some documents that have been sent in have been fraudulent? I know my docs won't be so does that mean I am approved? Anyone here go through this process with Chase, and if so, what was the outcome?

I am cautiously excited! Smiley Happy
Message 17 of 32
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
Hey Everyone! I have an update on my Chase Freedom application! They did the final review after it is was recommended for approval a couple of days ago. From their final review, they said they are "looking to approve" once I fax in a copy of my SS card and proof of address. So they officially declined UNTIL I provide that information. They said it will two weeks before I hear the decision. He said if I was declined declined, he would have told me today but he said they are looking to approve after I provide that info. He said it is not a guarantee but they are looking to approve.

Does this sound like a slam dunk or should I get prepared for a let down? I am assuming he couldn't guarantee it because some documents that have been sent in have been fraudulent? I know my docs won't be so does that mean I am approved? Anyone here go through this process with Chase, and if so, what was the outcome?

I am cautiously excited! Smiley Happy

I think you've got it!  If it were another decline, they would not request the documentation that they did, they would simply decline for the same reason(s).  Sounds to me like you've got the beginnings of a relationship with Chase! 

If you're looking to build a portfolio, try other cards that have an easy approval and are good for CLI.  AMEX Clear or BCE would be good cards to include.  One doesn't always need to have beaucoup rewards, sometimes having the card with decent and regular CLI is/should be the goal.  Citi was very good to me with the Diamond Preferred MC, and I've read that Citi can be generous.

Message 18 of 32
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Thank you for the response! I was thinking the same thing as you that if I was truly declined after the final review, they would have said so. I don't bank with them nor have I had any prior relationship with them so they truly do not know me. So it is understandable they want proof of who I am. Plus there is a fraud alert on my Fico report because my debit card # got stolen online and I had to report it and close it and they issued a fraud alert for me. This happened about 4 years ago.

I wanted a Chase CC as I am hoping for generous increases over time. I have seen people post very nice limits on their Chase Freedom cards on this thread. But it sounds like you are saying I need to add another card down the road for a good CL. Do you have a Chase CC, and if so, how generous have they been to you with regards to increases?

I'm very excited to start a long relationship with Chase and hope to get to $5000 at a minimum 1 to 2 years from now. I think I will try for Amex in August of next year. Are the AMEX cards you are suggesting easier to get approval for than the Chase Freedom? I'm realizing Chase is more difficult than I realized!

Thanks in advance. Smiley Happy
Message 19 of 32
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I love this forum! I got my Chase Freedom on my second recon call! Haha! I had to fight for it....and I even got a $5,000 limit! 0% on bal xfers and purchases for 15 mos + $100 cash back!! Haha
I know ops are recommending a halt to your app'ing; however, GECRB accts will grow FAST, which would get you to higher limits more quickly. I'd open a couple GECRB accts for that specific purpose, if you haven't already.
Just my 2 cents! Haha
Good luck!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.